Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I have two dead Pros and one which doesn't quite work right at one of the places I spend some time at - the result of an air-con failure in a very confined space.

They want them returned (and I'm perfectly prepared to have them say it was accidental damage and not covered) but what I'm curious to know when or if onsite service is ever offered with these things in the UK as part of Applecare. The address is smack bang in the middle of London, just behind Fortnum & Mason.

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
The address is smack bang in the middle of London, just behind Fortnum & Mason.

Nice... so that'd be just down the street (bit of a walk, admittedly) from the Apple Store! I haven’t heard of on-site service in the UK. It’d be a nice choice to have, even if it is at a premium. Has anyone got ProCare? What’s that like?

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I've been using macs for a fair few years now and haven't had onsite repair, but when one of my old G3 iMacs and G3 iBooks went down on me I just took it into the store I purchased it from and they dealt with it. The iMac they fixed in store within a couple of days (faulty power supply) and the iBook had to be sent to apple for a new Logic board, it was out of warranty but had extended cover due to a fault in that model. So have you considered popping down to the place of purchase and seeing if they can handle it, cause I personnaly found it easier doing it that way, it would have been too much hassle for me to package them up , post them off ect... Instead I just took a cab and handed over the faulty computer and a few days to a week later picked it up fully working.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The last time I used AppleCare (for my iMac G3) I got on-site, but that was in 2000 or maybe 2001. They don't appear to do it anymore on anything other than XServes, which is a pretty stupid decision if you ask me. MacPros should be covered by this.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Nice... so that'd be just down the street (bit of a walk, admittedly) from the Apple Store! I haven’t heard of on-site service in the UK. It’d be a nice choice to have, even if it is at a premium. Has anyone got ProCare? What’s that like?

If you are a student or an arty type, perhaps you do have time to cart it down to the store and wait for them to book it in. Unfortunately I don't.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
UK applecare states that it includes on-site service for desktop computers, but qualifies it by stating "not available in all locations".

The T+C states -

(ii) Onsite service is available for many desktop computers if the location of the Covered Equipment is within 50 miles/80 kilometers radius of an Apple authorized onsite service provider located in a country listed in section 7(d).

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
UK applecare states that it includes on-site service for desktop computers, but qualifies it by stating "not available in all locations".

The T+C states -

(ii) Onsite service is available for many desktop computers if the location of the Covered Equipment is within 50 miles/80 kilometers radius of an Apple authorized onsite service provider located in a country listed in section 7(d).

Interesting, thanks. I didn't read that bit of Applecare T&Cs. I'll have one of my lawyer mates pass his eyes over it before I call Apple again. If I'm paying for onsite warranty in any way I want it onsite.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Interesting, thanks. I didn't read that bit of Applecare T&Cs. I'll have one of my lawyer mates pass his eyes over it before I call Apple again. If I'm paying for onsite warranty in any way I want it onsite.
Definitely post your results on that one :cool:

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Yeah I'd certainly like to know how it goes. This is the first I've ever heard of on-site support, so kudo's if they go ahead and pay you a visit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.