Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
It's been over 12-hours since I did the reset on the Apple TV and logged-on with my Apple ID on it. It's still not showing on any of my Apple devices when running the Home-app.

All I can see is this picture, and I suppose that's the default picture when the app figures you do not have a Apple TV (4) on your Apple-ID / network.

I tried setting it up using my iPad Air 2 running iOS 10 as the Home Automation Hub and that didn't really work at all. Sharing "My Home" with my girlfriend and she was not able to control our Philips Hue lights using the Home-app on her devices at all. They always said updating, or not available. If we configure the Home-app without the iPad for home automation, we can both use the Home-app to control the lights when at home without issues. Adding the iPad into the mix was letting me do the automation, and I could control the lights when not on the same network but my girlfriend couldn't do jack anymore.

Do you only have Philips hue that is HomeKit compatible?

It only worked for me when I added a non hue related HomeKit device. No idea why this fixed it but both my hue and other device work fine from Apple TV.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Yeah, I only got Philips Hue that utilises HomeKit. I really hope this gets solved before the release of iOS 10 and tvOS 10. But as those are getting released next week, I suppose we are already running the "final" build of both iOS and tvOS.

Might it be something with the Philips Hue firmware that is not working properly? Lets hope Philips have a firmware update ready for iOS and tvOS 10.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Yeah, I only got Philips Hue that utilises HomeKit. I really hope this gets solved before the release of iOS 10 and tvOS 10. But as those are getting released next week, I suppose we are already running the "final" build of both iOS and tvOS.

Might it be something with the Philips Hue firmware that is not working properly? Lets hope Philips have a firmware update ready for iOS and tvOS 10.

We're on what is probably the final beta, but there are differences between that and what we get next week. We get the gold master, then barring any major bugs that's the version that is released as iOS 10.0.0 the week after.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
GM is out, I've installed on all my devices (iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, Apple TV Gen 4, 2x iPad Air 2's, 2x MacBook 12-inch) and I can still not get our Apple TV to enable Home Automation using the Home-app.

Is Apple or Philips the ones to blame?

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I turn the wifi off on my phone a lot when I'm in class because the wifi is so bad, so I often forget to turn it back on when I get home. Trying to use Hey Siri to turn my Hue lights on/off without wifi on absolutely will not work. Is there a setting in my Apple TV 4 that needs to be enabled to make this work?

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
After working for this and trying to give it the benefit if the doubt, it's basically useless to me and
I hate that I have to keep saying that, come on Apple, get on board with this stuff.

Again, it supports very few devices. You can group things but you can't actually send a voice command to that group (am I missing something here?) however, you can change Hue colors so there's that. But the functionality it offers isn't even remotely close to what you get with the Amazon Echo. For the iPHone I would also checkout an app called Yonomi, it recognizes all of my home automation devices and let's you setup routines and is far more ubiquitous than Apple Home.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have mostly insteon equipment and and ISY-994i controller. I also have ecobee which is HomeKit compatible. I use unofficial software called Homebridge and isy plugin running on a raspberry Pi. I find ios10 much better, faster, and more reliable than ios9 controlling my lights using HomeKit.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I have everything set up in the new Home app and fine it's working quite well.

As long as doors aren't involved, automations work well. I found early on that adding a garage door (via HomeBridge) to an automation would cause the app to ask for permission to run the automation...makes sense I guess.

Everything else is in and working great - 18 tiles with a couple of those being groups of 4 overhead lights. Shared to a couple of family members and showing up well on their phones too. Control of fixtures is just about instant on the shared phones as well as my own.

Siri control works great - but it's voice recognition...so it's still fussy. I'd rather just use the Home app tiles. Still...asking siri on my watch to open the garage door is pretty nice from time to time.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
You can group things but you can't actually send a voice command to that group (am I missing something here?)

Works for me. I have a set of Hue white lights in the kitchen ceiling fixture, and I created my first group called Ceiling. I can tell Siri to turn it on and off like any other device.

My experience with the new Home app has been very positive. So much so that I have deleted all the other apps from my iOS 10 devices. Apple's Home app reminds me a lot of Elgato's Eve, just a lot more efficient and straightforward.

A.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Works for me. I have a set of Hue white lights in the kitchen ceiling fixture, and I created my first group called Ceiling. I can tell Siri to turn it on and off like any other device.

My experience with the new Home app has been very positive. So much so that I have deleted all the other apps from my iOS 10 devices. Apple's Home app reminds me a lot of Elgato's Eve, just a lot more efficient and straightforward.

A.
Interesting, I assumed that to be the case but couldn't get it to work, I wonder if it's because I tried "living room" as two words. I'll try something a little simpler tonight. Glad it's working out for you.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
It's been over 12-hours since I did the reset on the Apple TV and logged-on with my Apple ID on it. It's still not showing on any of my Apple devices when running the Home-app.

All I can see is this picture, and I suppose that's the default picture when the app figures you do not have a Apple TV (4) on your Apple-ID / network.

I tried setting it up using my iPad Air 2 running iOS 10 as the Home Automation Hub and that didn't really work at all. Sharing "My Home" with my girlfriend and she was not able to control our Philips Hue lights using the Home-app on her devices at all. They always said updating, or not available. If we configure the Home-app without the iPad for home automation, we can both use the Home-app to control the lights when at home without issues. Adding the iPad into the mix was letting me do the automation, and I could control the lights when not on the same network but my girlfriend couldn't do jack anymore.

GM is out, I've installed on all my devices (iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, Apple TV Gen 4, 2x iPad Air 2's, 2x MacBook 12-inch) and I can still not get our Apple TV to enable Home Automation using the Home-app.

Is Apple or Philips the ones to blame?
Got today my Hue Lights and I'm experiencing pretty much the same issues - namely my girlfriend can't control the lights via Homekit AT ALL (it says they are not responding) except from the Hue app. And even though I have an ATV 4 with tvOS 10.0 up and running and properly setup I can't use automation for the life in me.

Have to admit, even though the lights are great, feel a bit like a bozo spending so much money on what it seems to be still just early amateur enthusiast fidgety tech :/

So, if you ever found answers to your issues, please share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.