Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
Just curious if anyone else has been able to successfully install the public beta yet. Mine has had a black screen with a cursor for the last 20-25 minutes, with no progress bar. Not sure if that's supposed to be the case or not, so I'm going to leave it alone until tomorrow. I believe my Mac is a 2016 iMac with 32GB RAM, i7, etc.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been waiting for more people to report successful installations of the public beta before I go out there and download it. The fact that they released the pb for Mojave a full day after the iOS 12 pb makes me suspicious that there may have been bugs preventing them from releasing it same day. But of course that's speculation.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
haha damn it. either my progress bar went for black on black or the install never started. Guess I'll find out when I come back tomorrow. it's possible that the Mac got hung up on something shuting down, I've seen that happen here and there.

Thanks for the responses.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Does it stable enough so far to be worth downloading at this time?

Stable? Yeah. Messages is slow and choppy. If you use Wacom tablets and Photoshop, pressure doesn’t work. Rest seems fine. In the short time I’ve used it, it seems like a relatively stable release, compared to other betas.

Reactions: Painter2002

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Yes. It took about 40-45 minutes and I lost my mouse cursor momentarily but after putting my 2015 rMB asleep and waking it up all was well.

Running much better on my rMB than High Sierra did thus far.

Reactions: Painter2002
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Installed, imported settings and apps.

Looks great so far.

A few random jerky moments.

Finder scrolling bug has been fixed if you were seeing the top folder disappear in Column View before.

Dark Mode implementation is very good. I think it will kill off classic Light Mode.

News app looks great but slow at the moment.

Love how Labels are so much easier to see in Dark Mode.

All apps I tried work.

Would prefer if Mail keeps white background in messages even with Dark Mode activated. So many image signatures are messed up on dark background.

Would also prefer if Notes app could stay yellow/white.

HEVC 4K REC 2020 playback on Radeon GPU has improved but still jerky. 4K REC 709 has worked since 10.13.2.

Thumbnails for images aren't always storing at the moment and are a bit slow to render.

QuickLook and Finder still slower at previewing large videos and images than Windows.

Overall I believe people will be very happy with this release.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
just starting to find my way around. i've waiting forever for dark mode... now need to get used to it, some of it feels... claustrophobic. but so far, ALL my apps work (so far, have a lot more to test). great to have all my settings etc intact.

very-unlike most first public betas since the program started!

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
With the dynamic desktop, is it supposed to reflect where you are in the world and project the right amount of daylight?

It's currently lunchtime here but my desktop says it's night time. My location is set correctly.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
haha yeap, when I came back in the morning it was still a black screen with a cursor. I guess the lesson is NO PROGRESS BAR = NO INSTALL
Will try turning it off and on again and see what happens.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Upgraded from High Sierra fine on my late 2015 21.5" 4k iMac. The partition was automatically converted to APFS all seems to be working fine. And yes I have taken the plunge.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
booted back into High Sierra as if nothing happened, then complained that it couldn't install updates automatically, opened app store wanting to update to some High Sierra combo update. Gonna be a long day :rolleyes:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
With the dynamic desktop, is it supposed to reflect where you are in the world and project the right amount of daylight?

It's currently lunchtime here but my desktop says it's night time. My location is set correctly.
Do you have dark mode turned on? From what I have read on other threads in the Mojave MacOS category it appears that the dynamic desktop only works if you are using light mode. If you use dark mode it auto-defaults the desktop to nighttime only

Reactions: Candlelight

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Trying to download and install Mojave PB as I write this, without much luck.

I was able to download what looks to be the "helper" app (which launches and presents the main installer screen), but I click through the installer to get it going, and it's currently displaying "about 9 minutes remaining", with NOTHING being downloaded (I can watch the "incoming activity" on my ethernet switch).

It's like the remote server isn't responding.
Have quit and retried a few times, all the same.

Anyone else having Mojave download problems, Wed. mid-morning?

I'm wondering if there's a direct link that downloads the full installer?
Certainly not "published" by Apple, but... still there?

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Trying to download and install Mojave PB as I write this, without much luck.

I was able to download what looks to be the "helper" app (which launches and presents the main installer screen), but I click through the installer to get it going, and it's currently displaying "about 9 minutes remaining", with NOTHING being downloaded (I can watch the "incoming activity" on my ethernet switch).

It's like the remote server isn't responding.
Have quit and retried a few times, all the same.

Anyone else having Mojave download problems, Wed. mid-morning?

I'm wondering if there's a direct link that downloads the full installer?
Certainly not "published" by Apple, but... still there?
I have not installed it yet but plan on doing it at lunch time here shortly. I’ll post if it works for me, and see if I can’t get you a link.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I downloaded and installed this morning on a 2013 iMac with an old-fashioned HDD. It took about 20 minutes to install and I will say that it's FAST. Much faster than HS and with none of the constant beachballing that I had in HS. Apps such as Chrome are MUCH quicker also. I'm pleased.

FrankeeD

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Mid-2012 MBP. The biggest issue is that it tells me that I don't have any Wi-Fi hardware installed, so of course I can't connect to the internet. The card type is:
AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xF5) Has anyone else had this happen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.