Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
I am curious what happens to the unsold stock of iPhone Pros after each September launch? Do they recycle them, or sell them as refurbished even though if they're new?
It seems to me they keep the non-Pro iPhones after each launch but completely replace the Pro level phones. Would this be a environmental problem?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Well if there is anything Tim Cook can do it should be solving these types of problems (that was his original job at Apple I believe). My guess is they keep supplying to third party stores until they run out + they are able to predict the demand pretty detailed. No way they are trashing unsold products, there is no need.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Add in to above, there probably is not that much inventory to start with. Just in time manufacturing. Apple knows how many they sell on average per day/week/month, know when the new device roll out is coming, so start ramping down manufacturing of old devices, ramp up new, so that no excessive amount of excess.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am curious what happens to the unsold stock of iPhone Pros after each September launch? Do they recycle them, or sell them as refurbished even though if they're new?
It seems to me they keep the non-Pro iPhones after each launch but completely replace the Pro level phones. Would this be a environmental problem?
Not really understanding the question.

It isn't like Apple is selling food - there is no sellby date and these devices are not going to 'expire' or go bad. Would they not remain on the shelves (or in the back) or as online stock available to be sold to customers who buy the new phone after launch?

I guess I just don't understand what launch has to do with this. The day after, as a retailer you'd have a brand new model of iPhone for sale with stock on hand to sell it to customers wanting to buy it.

What is the problem here?

Or am I fundamentally misunderstand how Apple does launches? Is there something special/different about launch stock versus what's available to buy the day after?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Not really understanding the question.

It isn't like Apple is selling food - there is no sellby date and these devices are not going to 'expire' or go bad. Would they not remain on the shelves (or in the back) or as online stock available to be sold to customers who buy the new phone after launch?

I guess I just don't understand what launch has to do with this. The day after, as a retailer you'd have a brand new model of iPhone for sale with stock on hand to sell it to customers wanting to buy it.

What is the problem here?

Or am I fundamentally misunderstand how Apple does launches? Is there something special/different about launch stock versus what's available to buy the day after?

The question is about Pro models specifically because unlike other models, these Pro iPhones will not be sold from Apple anymore when the next gen launches. 13 Pro is discontinued while the regular 13 is still being sold.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The question is about Pro models specifically because unlike other models, these Pro iPhones will not be sold from Apple anymore when the next gen launches. 13 Pro is discontinued while the regular 13 is still being sold.
Hmmmm…when did that happen? And it applies to every Pro model going forward?

I bought a 11 Pro Max brand new in February 2021, which was well after launch, so this couldn't have applied then. Unless the Pro Max is not included as part of this?

Reactions: madeirabhoy

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Apple controls their entire supply chain in a way really nobody else can. That's how you can order a BTO device and get it manufactured just for you within the week and out the factory doors a couple days later.

For stock that's already been manufactured and isn't to be sold anymore - they'll simply keep it in inventory for (warranty and paid out-of-warranty) replacements. Not like you can tell if your replacement is refurbished or brand new. And when it's been sitting in a box for a year and more there isn't too much difference either (the battery will degrade a bit).

Apple has AC+ plans that cover iPhones for 3, 4 or even 5 years. So if you smash your iPhone 12 Pro to pieces in 2025 and walk into an Apple Store you'd expect them to be able to replace it. Apple would rather give you another 12 Pro instead of being forced to give you an iPhone 17 Pro for free.

You gotta keep in mind that Apple pays a couple cents manufacturing for each dollar the customer pays Apple. So Apple will make more money not selling that extra stock of older Pro phones immediately, so that they can instead sell more of their latest and greatest iteration.

That's the whole point of removing the older Pro devices from the Apple Store, so that these don't cannibalize the sales of the latest phones. Otherwise Apple would have to reduce the price for these older models a bit, which means fewer 14 Pro devices sold.

If Apple could take the older Pro devices out of retailer's stores, they would. The only reason you can buy an older Pro phone later is that Apple can't run the retailer's businesses.

I bought a 11 Pro Max brand new in February 2021, which was well after launch
They are talking directly sold by Apple, Apple only sells the latest Pro iteration.

Reactions: KaliYoni

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
They are talking directly sold by Apple, Apple only sells the latest Pro iteration.
Ah, got it. Thanks. Previous versions not for sale after the latest launches. The question makes sense then. I guess I was tripped up because OP is talking about older Pro models and I didn't realize that. I thought OP was talking about new Pro models that didn't sell at launch.

Reactions: that be me

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Even when "discontinued" by Apple they can continue selling them for a bit. Recently there was a carrier deal for a free new iPhone 11 and it came with iOS 16. That shouldn't be possible because the iPhone 11 was discontinued before iOS 16's release. It was still sealed in the box so Apple had to have a hand in that.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Sometimes older models are kept, sometimes discontinued, after the introduction of new models. Perhaps they have lots of the former in stock, or at least lots of parts to put them together, so they continue to produce them? Just in time production isn't always smooth.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
An anecdote from Europe.
2019 I got an iPhone X. It had problems with the screen and dust in the front camera. After some back and forth with support because each time they made me send it in it came back with the same screen but even more dust in the camera, I got connected to a senior advisor who decided for me to get a new phone to stop this cycle.
They were out of stock for iPhone X, and Xs.
The only thing they had available as a replacement was the phone released 7 months prior, the 11 Pro.
So, yeah, Apple isn’t keeping much discontinued stuff around it seems.

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
They could have just been temporarily out of stock due to the initial chaos of the pandemic. At that time there were some bad supply chain interruptions and Apple might have prioritized ensuring as many customers as possible can give Apple their money for the very newest iPhone model.

If anyone can keep track of their inventory and make sure nothing goes to waste, it's Apple.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
They definitely keep a supply of them. I have a 12 Pro that was damaged last summer when Apple was doing a battery replacement. They gave me a brand new 12 Pro.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It seems to me they keep the non-Pro iPhones after each launch but completely replace the Pro level phones. Would this be an environmental problem?
They go everywhere
- refurbished or replacement
- carrier or resellers that still sells them until supplies last
- they go to certain countries/markets

On certain models, Apple still makes them despite their discontinuation date. For example, I bought a brand new iPhone 7+ in early 2020. It comes with iOS 13 out of the box.

Reactions: dantay

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
In addition to the above responses, I'm guessing the demand is already quite low by the time of the update. Apple updates their new phones pretty much like clockwork, so I'd guess there aren't a lot of people walking into the store looking to buy the previous gen at the last minute.

As the demand tapers off, they know to slow production. The rounding error left in the supply chain likely gets stocked for Apple Care replacement.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
They go everywhere
- refurbished or replacement
- carrier or resellers that still sells them until supplies last
- they go to certain countries/markets

On certain models, Apple still makes them despite their discontinuation date. For example, I bought a brand new iPhone 7+ in early 2020. It comes with iOS 13 out of the box.

Yes, sometimes the amount of 'old stuff' still in the supply chain can be odd - there are Mac Pro 6,1s (the trash can) out there in retail boxes with 2020 manufacturing dates. Not sure *who* exactly they were being made for, though.

And sometimes a model gets made for education/enterprise for a while beyond the end of 'retail' sale - the 11" MBA was on education order lists for something close to a year beyond the official discontinuation date.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Apple does not have the same release date for all countries... For US and other countries with the same release date, they get the new models first, then other countries who are still on the previous models get the new models later...

Non-Apple/3rd party sellers/carriers still sell some older models which is how I was able to purchase a brand new sealed iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 13.x back in November 2020...

As what others said, Apple maybe keeping the prior flagship models as buffer for replacement or they get redistributed to non-Apple sellers...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Apple may sell them off to retailers as you can still buy Pro iPhones long after Apple themselves discontinue them. You can get a 12 Pro brand new on contract even now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.