Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Sony promised to give ample notice before the PS5 preorder. They didn’t, and a frenzy ensued.

Sony also promised to provide info about NVME compatibility in advance of console launch, and it doesn’t look like that is happening either. Since supply issues continue to be a concern, I threw caution to the wind and bought a Samsung 980 Pro. Surprisingly, I can’t seem to find anyone online who has tried installing an NVME in a PS5.

What I’m wondering is, can I just try installing the Samsung in my PS5 when it arrives? I feel like the worst that could happen is that it doesn’t work and I have to uninstall it.

Is there a risk of damaging the drive or the PS5 by just going for it? (Assuming I install it correctly and follow normal safety precautions)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
IIRC someone posted that if you add a drive the system will see it, tell you to remove it and shutdown.

Reactions: SegNerd

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Thank you. Upon further Googling, it appears to have been confirmed that the NVME slot is simply unusable at launch (presumably to be enabled with a firmware update in the future).

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.