Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I mean I get where you're coming from but IMO this is only useful for people who absolutely can't stand the divided menu bar. Otherwise you're just going to lose screen space to eliminate a notch which isn't really visible anyway if you select dark mode.

Reactions: Tagbert

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "notch" is simply there.

It's not going away any time soon.

It is... what it is.

Might as well get used to it.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Not sure if my image was helpful. I know it compares the look to the 2018 model instead of the 2019 but maybe if you look at the picture and your 2019 from a similar angle you can compare the bezels.

With Mini-LED screens, black is truly black and looks exactly the same as if the display was powered off. So you can't see the difference between the part of the blacked out area that is notch and the part that is disabled screen space unless you get a lot of light shining on it. So it might as well be a real bezel at that point. I think you won't find the notch so bad once you have your purchase in hand but I can appreciate the need to have a plan B in case you find you can't stand it.

The app works by simply changing resolution. It is still handy if you want to go back and forth between notch and no notch quickly, but you can also just change the resolution yourself in the display settings, as DFBwin shared. The different resolution still seems to line up the physical pixels with software pixels so it's not blurred/filtered like you normally see with non-native resolutions. The overall look is what you'd expect the system to look like if Apple had not built it with a notch in the first place. The only issue I've noticed is that the resolution change seems to lose a few rows of pixels on the BOTTOM for some reason but it's a negligible amount.

It should be noted that a similar effect is normally done, with no third-party apps or changes to the default settings, if you switch an app to full screen. In that case though it's not a resolution change so you can still move your cursor up to the blackened area, and then menu bar content appears there. The resolution change we are talking about completely stops using the blackened area at all and makes the interface work like it does on a no-notch display.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have to help you. I could even measure the effective bezels if you want to compare that to your 2019 model. I have been in this situation myself with purchases and I can appreciate the need to have no surprises at all. You may want to have a look at how it works at an Apple Store. If that isn't practical maybe you could tell me what you'd try if you had the device in front of you and I could try to make a simple video for you showing the same thing.

Sorry people are being mean to you. Not sure what is up with this place.
Thank you! Your pictures and description helped clarify the issue.

When I teach an online class I like to make the Mac and Windows versions look as similar as possible. Too many differences in appearance might require the making of a separate class.

Reactions: Luna Murasaki

Luna Murasaki

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Thank you! Your pictures and description helped clarify the issue.

When I teach an online class I like to make the Mac and Windows versions look as similar as possible. Too many differences in appearance might require the making of a separate class.
It may be worth adding that if you are mirroring a display, that’s a different story. I usually use my MacBook like a desktop computer. To do this, I mirror the built-in display to the 4K TV I use on my desk like a computer monitor. The mirroring is set to be optimized for the TV, so when I do that, the notch and all interface adaptations for it are disabled anyway, as both displays show the shared 3840x2160 screen. So worst-case scenario, you could always just use an external display when recording your screen, with no special notch-disabling software needed. Using the same external display for both your Windows and macOS-focused lectures would ensure an identical screen resolution in both cases. You could also have a 16:9 aspect ratio that way which seems to be what people want for video if your videos are fullscreen.

I actually have a Windows tower PC connected to the exact same TV, mouse, keyboard, and speakers using a KVM switch. I have the UI scaling set to 200% for both environments so the experience is consistent across OSs.

Last edited:
Reactions: azpc

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If an app has more menu bar items then can spill over to the other side of the notch, meaning you can lose access to some menu bar apps entirely unless you switch to something else.
Notice how the last menubar app in Safari isn't visible in XCode.

Personally I'm not too bothered by it, I don't have that many menu bar apps, but if I did I can see how it would be irritating.

View attachment 2312377
View attachment 2312376
Oh, that is not unique to Macs with the Notch, just more likely. The menubar icons were always truncated if they ran into the actual menu areas. I have used Bartender for years to manage those icons. I don’t need or want all of them showing all of the time. With Bartender you can move less important icons to a secondary panel that only appears when you click on the Bartender icon. Unless you are an istat menu addict, you should be able to move enough icons off to not have the problem of losing important icons.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Update:

For those who don't care for the notch, if you like the notch read no further.

I went ahead and purchased "Say No to Notch". It is the best solution that I have found for dealing with the notch. It works seamlessly in fact, I forgot that the new Macbooks had a notch until I worked with a friend's Macbook.

IMG_0398.jpg

Has anyone tried out Say No to Notch on the Mac App Store?

Features:

• Moves the menu bar down below the "notch"

Brings back the full-width menu bar from edge to edge

• Works well with professional apps with a long list of menus

• Makes the long list of menu items visible

• Quickly toggle the notch via menu bar icon

• Hide Dock icon

• Double-clicking the notch area to disable the notch

• "Always Disable Notch" Mode

• Shortcuts app support

If you have tried it, did you like it?

Thank you

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.