Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I know what you're thinking, buy a new Mac blah blah. If you're going to say that please save me the time of reading it. I have more than one laptop. I just like this one in particular.

I have a 2009 black MacBook, Yes black. I swapped the motherboard in it with a newer 09 white one. I am more than capable of making things fit that shouldn't. I've found a thread on ifixit about a screen upgrade for a 15" MacBook Pro but that doesn't really help me as there are way more 15" screens to choose from than 13.3 ones.
I know its not impossible as a lot of screens are sort of universal, its just a matter of attaching the connector and a compatible inverter for it. The problem is I cannot find a screen higher than 1366x768, which wouldn't really make it worth it. Id prefer a 1080. I know that the 9400m in this thing probably couldn't handle a retina screen, but I know for a fact that in can drive 1920x1080 no problem. Even 1440x900 would be nice. Aside from that, the resolution isn't the main reason I want to upgrade it. Its the fact that highest bright setting is darker than the mid setting on every other device I own. I know theres a few people out there like me that do "ridiculous mods" like this, or have a recommendation on a screen please chime in.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
IRC, that MBP screen upgrade is adding the 15" highness screen; the difference being that both screens were made for the same computer. I don't think what you want will work without major surgery.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
could you get an a1342 2010 MacBook screen to fit?

it has higher res and mine could go very bright until the mobo gave out on me.

these screens are native 1280x800

I do not know if fittings are same or not though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.