Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
So I'm still on El Cap and I'm wondering if anyone here had upgraded to Mojave from El Cap. If so was it worth it? if Mojave isn't so good could I revert back to El Cap at this point? I'm on a 2014 MBP.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I upgraded from Sierra (macOS 10.12.6) to Mojave (macOS 10.14) on a 2014 MacBook Pro with no problems. On my Mac I did a clean install, but every other Mac I've upgraded has been perfectly fine and the improvements are welcome.
Do a Time Machine backup first, so you can restore if you need.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I upgraded from Sierra (macOS 10.12.6) to Mojave (macOS 10.14) on a 2014 MacBook Pro with no problems. On my Mac I did a clean install, but every other Mac I've upgraded has been perfectly fine and the improvements are welcome.
Do a Time Machine backup first, so you can restore if you need.

Well I don't use Time Machine but I do back up my drive with CCC to an external drive. Either way if I for some reason I didn't like Mojave and wanted to revert back to El Cap could it be done?

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Well I don't use Time Machine but I do back up my drive with CCC to an external drive. Either way if I for some reason I didn't like Mojave and wanted to revert back to El Cap could it be done?
Yes, but it would require downloading El Capitan from the App Store and making a bootable drive with the installer.
If your Carbon Copy Cloner backup is the entire disk image, you *might* be able to restore it to your system drive and have everything returned as you left it.
Just do a Time Machine backup - simple and automatic.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Yes, but it would require downloading El Capitan from the App Store and making a bootable drive with the installer.
If your Carbon Copy Cloner backup is the entire disk image, you *might* be able to restore it to your system drive and have everything returned as you left it.
Just do a Time Machine backup - simple and automatic.

I don't like the way in which TM does backups. CCC just makes more sense to me plus it allows me to boot from the external drive if need be and everything is the same.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP wrote:
"Well I don't use Time Machine but I do back up my drive with CCC to an external drive. Either way if I for some reason I didn't like Mojave and wanted to revert back to El Cap could it be done?"

If you are backing up with CCC, you are in a MUCH BETTER POSITION to try an upgrade (than you would be if you used TM).

Having a BOOTABLE cloned backup makes it easy to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged" if the upgrade doesn't go right.

You would then do this:
1. Connect the cloned backup of El Cap
2. Boot from it.
3. ERASE the internal drive to Mac OS Extended with journaling enabled
4. RE-clone the contents of the backup BACK TO the internal drive.
5. Done.

Without a bootable backup one can still "get back", but it's NOT going to be easy.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The OP wrote:
"Well I don't use Time Machine but I do back up my drive with CCC to an external drive. Either way if I for some reason I didn't like Mojave and wanted to revert back to El Cap could it be done?"

If you are backing up with CCC, you are in a MUCH BETTER POSITION to try an upgrade (than you would be if you used TM).

Having a BOOTABLE cloned backup makes it easy to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged" if the upgrade doesn't go right.

You would then do this:
1. Connect the cloned backup of El Cap
2. Boot from it.
3. ERASE the internal drive to Mac OS Extended with journaling enabled
4. RE-clone the contents of the backup BACK TO the internal drive.
5. Done.

Without a bootable backup one can still "get back", but it's NOT going to be easy.

Okay. I just wanted to make sure. My Mac is 4 years old so I'm not sure how Mojave would perform. I still haven't upgraded to iOS12 in my iPhone 6S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.