Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muffinlord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I'm thinking about getting an EGPU case, and using it with a late 2011 MacBook pro. I'm planning on getting a TB3 case, since it would be more useful when I finally end up upgrading my laptop at some point.
Has anyone used an EGPU with one of these older machines, and did you get pretty decent results?

Thanks!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I'm thinking about getting an EGPU case, and using it with a late 2011 MacBook pro. I'm planning on getting a TB3 case, since it would be more useful when I finally end up upgrading my laptop at some point.
Has anyone used an EGPU with one of these older machines, and did you get pretty decent results?

Thanks!

Can I ask what an EGPU or a TB3 case is ?

Muffinlord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Can I ask what an EGPU or a TB3 case is ?

TB3 is simply a thunderbolt 3 connected case. Basically, they are cases that will hold an external video card, have a power supply, and will take over the graphics card processing load from the laptop over a thunderbolt connection.

here is a little information about them, but it is based on the akitio node 3, and a 2016 MacBook pro.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/18/hand...e-apple-2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-video/

Supposedly people have been able to get it to work on older macs, but I couldn't find any actual reviews, or results.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I built a TB2 eGPU for my Early 2011 and the performance was good, but the monitor would blackout running some benchmarks and the machine had to be rebooted, so I gave up.

Muffinlord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I built a TB2 eGPU for my Early 2011 and the performance was good, but the monitor would blackout running some benchmarks and the machine had to be rebooted, so I gave up.
It looks like there have been some strides with making it easier to implement. Maybe it'll work better?
What sort of improvements did you see? was like 2 times better, or more?

Thanks

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It looks like there have been some strides with making it easier to implement. Maybe it'll work better?
What sort of improvements did you see? was like 2 times better, or more?

Thanks
I think my RX 460 was not too bottlenecked by TB1, except if you decode 4K full screen on the CPU instead of the GPU.

Also, trying to boot Windows on the Mac with this card just resulted in a back screen.

On the PC, AMD supports eGPU by themselves, so it runs perfectly.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
TB3 is simply a thunderbolt 3 connected case. Basically, they are cases that will hold an external video card, have a power supply, and will take over the graphics card processing load from the laptop over a thunderbolt connection.

here is a little information about them, but it is based on the akitio node 3, and a 2016 MacBook pro.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/18/hand...e-apple-2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-video/

Supposedly people have been able to get it to work on older macs, but I couldn't find any actual reviews, or results.

Gotcha, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.