Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkdesign2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Sorry if this is an old question.... but I'm a new person. :eek:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
App Store is growing and more devices that can access App store are sold all the time. That means more storage and servers are needed for smooth operation. Hopefully, there will be new MobileMe though

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

hellhammer: So it's not for providing some new service... it's just for doing what services they provide today, to an expanding customer base?

Sigh.

So this isn't what SJ meant by "taking it to the next level" this year. (What is? The phone was the whole "next level"? Unfortunately, what I need is a viable non-obese laptop, not a fancier phone.)

Meanwhile... the Macbooks/Pros are all a "level" or 2 or 3 behind the competition (adding USB3, have had 3g for a decade/+, etc. etc.)... except the MacBook Air with its tiny RAM - which is almost a living fossil at this point.

Come to think of it, "taking it to the next level" is just a biz chiche anyhow... so maybe coming from SJ, it didn't mean anything in particular.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Does anyone know when the new data center is almost finished? I know they've been working on it a long time but is it close to being done?

I just signed up for MM a couple days ago and I find iDisk to be unusably slow. Hopefully they beef that up as part of their new datacenter capabilities.

Ruahrc

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
My personal hunch is it's for FaceTime.

I may be understanding it wrong, but I really don't see where Facetime requires a datacenter? Adding a datacenter is not going to increase the available bandwidth of the ATT 3G network- nor will it affect anyone's wifi network either. It would seem most logical for facetime connections to be peer-to-peer without having to route through a sever, so I don't see where a facetime connection would need a data center of any kind?

Lokrado

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Denmark
I may be understanding it wrong, but I really don't see where Facetime requires a datacenter? Adding a datacenter is not going to increase the available bandwidth of the ATT 3G network- nor will it affect anyone's wifi network either. It would seem most logical for facetime connections to be peer-to-peer without having to route through a sever, so I don't see where a facetime connection would need a data center of any kind?

facetime is p2p, - a simplified ichat with some portmapping tools

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008

Network traversal etc. This would tie into that rumor that FaceTime 'phones home' to Apple.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Maybe theyll increase idisk Up/Down speeds with it?!

Much needed. Basically not worth using right now.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
For years people have been wondering when Apple was going to begin bringing their content distribution in-house and should a lot of the burden Akamai has be paid to handle.

Heck, Apple can probably pay some schlub a couple bucks above minimum wage to work 24/7 in a cold dark cave and and undercut the cost of Akamai's labor. And we would probably get another Futurama episode out of it with the poorly paid zombie workers in Mother's data farm. :p

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I can think of a number of cool things Apple could do with the data center:

1: A Spotify-like service with a monthly/yearly fee that streams desired songs with no ads. If someone wants to play "Ride the Lightning" 50 times in a row, they can.

2: A cloud based backup service, similar to Mozy, Carbonite, or BackBlaze.

3: A Web app farm storing user data on the server side, similar to Google Docs.

4: Extensions to .me for companies to have their whole domains sitting on Apple's servers.

5: Cloud based apps that go with Logic or Aperture for vaulting/archiving of projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.