Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Had a rather curious move back to iPhone. I went from an Samsung S10+ to the iPhone 13 pro max. I was at an ATT store and asked the guy to calculate out the cost for me for monthly service along with estimate on other costs.

First time around, I had to contact ATT and mentioned their billing me far higher than what was stated by the sales person at their store. They were quick to adjust and this month, sure enough the bill went up nearly 16 dollars and they said the previous adjustment was temporary. This is all rather screwy. I will engaging ATT on Monday to see if I can get this adjusted. I am unsure of any recourse if they are insistent.

Anyone else have some story of a similar nature and how did you resolve it?

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
I would sign into your ATT account and check what service you are currently under. Your last billing cycle would break down the fees and taxes. Not an adjusted billing cycle, since as you said that was temporary.

Are you exceeding any limits? That will quickly add to your bill. For example, I have a limited data plan on my service, so as long as I don't exceed that limit, my bill stays where it should. If I exceed it, it can jump rather substantially. This is to encourage us to buy into the more expensive tiers outright to avoid the extra fees.

Since the adjustment was only temporary... I suspect it is a usage charge being added for exceeding a data limit. I can't see them reducing the bill temporarily for a standard charge.

Your recourse can be complicated if you are locked in for x number of years say for perks such as a new phone et al. You may want to change tiers or get more frugal with your phone usage until you can get out of the contract.

Salesmen are the dodgy part of this as they are working on commission. What they tell you versus what is written down in the contract is what matters. Nothing that the salesman says is legally binding, only what is in the actual contract. This is why you need to review what it is that you actually signed up for because it is only if that doesn't match to what you are being billed that you have any ground to fight on. They may allow you to cancel your contract (with or without an early termination fee). The key thing here is that the higher bill seems to be your actual bill going forward.

I'm a frugal phone user... my monthly bill (fees and taxes included) is only $14.41 a month. So limited data plan and bring your own phone. LOL, it was only $6.10 a month until they added a minimum data fee. I use Xfinity Mobile.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I would sign into your ATT account and check what service you are currently under. Your last billing cycle would break down the fees and taxes. Not an adjusted billing cycle, since as you said that was temporary.

Are you exceeding any limits? That will quickly add to your bill. For example, I have a limited data plan on my service, so as long as I don't exceed that limit, my bill stays where it should. If I exceed it, it can jump rather substantially. This is to encourage us to buy into the more expensive tiers outright to avoid the extra fees.

Since the adjustment was only temporary... I suspect it is a usage charge being added for exceeding a data limit. I can't see them reducing the bill temporarily for a standard charge.

Your recourse can be complicated if you are locked in for x number of years say for perks such as a new phone et al. You may want to change tiers or get more frugal with your phone usage until you can get out of the contract.

Salesmen are the dodgy part of this as they are working on commission. What they tell you versus what is written down in the contract is what matters. Nothing that the salesman says is legally binding, only what is in the actual contract. This is why you need to review what it is that you actually signed up for because it is only if that doesn't match to what you are being billed that you have any ground to fight on. They may allow you to cancel your contract (with or without an early termination fee). The key thing here is that the higher bill seems to be your actual bill going forward.

I'm a frugal phone user... my monthly bill (fees and taxes included) is only $14.41 a month. So limited data plan and bring your own phone. LOL, it was only $6.10 a month until they added a minimum data fee. I use Xfinity Mobile.
Thanks for the replay. After a long while on line "chat" with ATT, they used the word "misquoted." End result, to achieve the quoted price, I had to go one plan "lower" than what I had. The perks I don't miss. For some reason on iPhone, tethering via cable is considered the same as a hotspot yet on my old phone (Samsung) and plan, it was not. This was a bit in the same family as "bait n' switch." I'll carry on for the remainder of the service and phone pay off then shop for another provider (though I believe most are as bad).

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks for the replay. After a long while on line "chat" with ATT, they used the word "misquoted." End result, to achieve the quoted price, I had to go one plan "lower" than what I had. The perks I don't miss. For some reason on iPhone, tethering via cable is considered the same as a hotspot yet on my old phone (Samsung) and plan, it was not. This was a bit in the same family as "bait n' switch." I'll carry on for the remainder of the service and phone pay off then shop for another provider (though I believe most are as bad).
Glad you figured it out finally. All carriers make a mint off of these services. Hell, they could probably toss in a free Rolls Royce and still come out ahead. That's why I only use my phone as a phone and restrict all data usage to my local wifi connection. I save a mint that way. I have a computer at home if I want to surf the internet, watch movies, et al. That service is far cheaper than using wireless phone carrier by a landslide.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Glad you figured it out finally. All carriers make a mint off of these services. Hell, they could probably toss in a free Rolls Royce and still come out ahead. That's why I only use my phone as a phone and restrict all data usage to my local wifi connection. I save a mint that way. I have a computer at home if I want to surf the internet, watch movies, et al. That service is far cheaper than using wireless phone carrier by a landslide.
Fully agree. Due to some activities, I cannot afford to have the internet down so it really is about emergency use and not much more. I just get frustrated when I go over with the ATT agent (in the store) exactly what I am willing to pay and he assures me with my named discounts, I was within 3 dollars of that amount. Somehow, they manage to bump it up another 15 bucks. Fortunately the "perks" I don't care bout so the plan just below is close enough.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
A few things, do you have a FAN/Corporate discount? That can save you a few bucks. Also, AT&T gives out estimates. Actual bill will vary depending on taxes and fees of your area.

I would check your bill breakdown, that's what I do when I see cent differences.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
A few things, do you have a FAN/Corporate discount? That can save you a few bucks. Also, AT&T gives out estimates. Actual bill will vary depending on taxes and fees of your area.

I would check your bill breakdown, that's what I do when I see cent differences.
No taxes or fees on most T-Mobile plans. Everything is included. However, you do have to deal with the sometimes inconsistent T-Mobile service when not in large metro areas.

Reactions: phrehdd

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No taxes or fees on most T-Mobile plans. Everything is included. However, you do have to deal with the sometimes inconsistent T-Mobile service when not in large metro areas.
Well, win some, lose some. That said, shouldn't T-Mo be getting better signal as they acquired not only Sprint's towers but also their spectrum?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Well, win some, lose some. That said, shouldn't T-Mo be getting better signal as they acquired not only Sprint's towers but also their spectrum?
They are a lot better but unless you have the latest phones that can use that spectrum you still have some limited service, especially since Sprint did not have a lot of coverage in the sticks. It's not a major issue and I have 9 lines on T-Mobile and 3 on Verizon. Verizon is definately more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.