Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoomerangCookie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
Is it just me or has how Apple Music calculates Top Songs for an artist changed? It seems like it is daily listens instead of lifetime listens. I’ve noticed this with some artists where new songs are popping up under the top songs header even they couldn’t have possibly had enough plays to show up there previously.

emrtech101

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I noticed that too, I’m wondering if they’re going based on a new time range now (all-time, 30 days, etc) But your guess is as good as mine!

BoomerangCookie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed :). I have come to the conclusion that it must be updating more than once a day, as some artists with new albums actually have the different songs shuffling in the top songs area throughout the day.

Reactions: emrtech101

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I suspect that it's always had some element in the algorithm to rate newer releases higher, but they've definitely kicked it up to 11. It's heavy handed enough that it doesn't seem to take much for a new album to completely monopolize the top song list.

I guess it has the short term benefit of ranking an album's songs better than those dumb dots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.