Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I love iOS7, I think it's great and will set up the "design" barometers for this decade.

However, I would be lying if I said the OS doesn't look "serious." It looks stylish, bold, and yes, colorful.

As I'm watching the Zimmerman trial, I can't really picture these lawyers (or any lawyers, throw doctors and executives there also) getting out their iPhone's with that layout and the transparency with bright colors.

It doesn't look serious, and while we're only in Beta 2, I can't imagine it looking more "serious." There's a reason all promotional material is with the white iPhone; this iOS doesn't look that great on a black iPhone. The only black iPhone that I remember seeing with iOS7 from Apple is on the promo video showing the AirDrop feature, and that's only for about 3 seconds.

So has Apple turned off some professionals with iOS7 and if so, has that now left the window for Blackberry, Windows, maybe even Android, to pursue this market and give new life to Windows and especially Blackberry?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I love iOS7, I think it's great and will set up the "design" barometers for this decade.

However, I would be lying if I said the OS doesn't look "serious." It looks stylish, bold, and yes, colorful.

As I'm watching the Zimmerman trial, I can't really picture these lawyers (or any lawyers, throw doctors and executives there also) getting out their iPhone's with that layout and the transparency with bright colors.

I find it difficult to believe that any "professional" would give a tinker's dam about the icons on their phone.

Do you actually, seriously believe that docs or lawyers (well, maybe lawyers :p) truly care what the icons on their phone look like, or fear that they will convey an unprofessional appearance.

As if my patients give a damn about my phone!

Sorry, but I think the icons on my phone couldn't be less important. :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Someone might be vain enough to move off iOS over the appearance but who knows if they will stay away. After all some developers of industry specific apps are strictly iOS. If you are expected to use that app you have to stick with the system it runs on.

Then again many such parties will resist upgrading until they must to make sure those apps have has time to be stable so it may be less of an issue than you think

----------

Do you actually, seriously believe that docs or lawyers (well, maybe lawyers :p) truly care what the icons on their phone look like, or fear that they will convey an unprofessional appearance.

I think I would be more worried about the potential ethical breach of waving around your phone such that anyone could see anything on it, OS or otherwise

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

It doesn't look serious, and while we're only in Beta 2, I can't imagine it looking more "serious." There's a reason all promotional material is with the white iPhone; this iOS doesn't look that great on a black iPhone. The only black iPhone that I remember seeing with iOS7 from Apple is on the promo video showing the AirDrop feature, and that's only for about 3 seconds.

So has Apple turned off some professionals with iOS7 and if so, has that now left the window for Blackberry, Windows, maybe even Android, to pursue this market and give new life to Windows and especially Blackberry?

Who makes a serious phone these days anyhow?

Is a large plastic Samsung phone serious?
Is a windows phone serious with its tiles and colors?
How about a Blackberry? Would you invest in one? I wouldn't

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I think what apple has done in the last 8 years is open the door to the mainstream(people who watch the Zimmerman trial). Keeping these people happy and entertained is impossible and will end badly for apple. Apple should have just added a unlock retina scanner and bubble blower to iOS 7 and it would have been a hit.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I think what apple has done in the last 8 years is open the door to the mainstream(people who watch the Zimmerman trial). Keeping these people happy and entertained is impossible and will end badly for apple. Apple should have just added a unlock retina scanner and bubble blower to iOS 7 and it would have been a hit.

LMAO at the bubbleblower.

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I think it actually looks more serious than iOS6. It went from being a playish OS with make believe leather and linnen and icons that wished they were real things, to a simple bright OS with transparant layers. True, the icons are bright, but the OS seems to be very dependant on your springboard background.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
It's a new design. Many said the same when the first iPhone came out. Everyone was using BB's. "it's not professional" everyone screamed. Well, it didn't change and it became the benchmark. Much the same will be with iOS7.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I think it actually looks more serious than iOS6. It went from being a playish OS with make believe leather and linnen and icons that wished they were real things, to a simple bright OS with transparant layers. True, the icons are bright, but the OS seems to be very dependant on your springboard background.

I used to call iOS 6 the "Fisher Price" OS.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How exactly do you define a "serious" looking OS?

Was this serious? Seems to be a mishmash of design (though maybe not as bright and colorful as iOS 7)
IOS_6_Home_Screen.png

Is this serious? I see a lot of bright colors on this screen.
windows-phone-8-review-102-1020_large_verge_super_wide.jpg
windowsph8-start-screens.jpg

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Who makes a serious phone these days anyhow?

Is a large plastic Samsung phone serious?
Is a windows phone serious with its tiles and colors?
How about a Blackberry? Would you invest in one? I wouldn't

The aluminum unibody HTC One is pretty sick actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.