Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Flipboard would deserve it after dropping their wonderful fullscreen design.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
So will we be able to choose whatever publications and websites we like to read to show up in our feed, or will we be stuck with whatever outlets Apple has already entered into a deal with?

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Any idea if News will work with a US iTunes account for someone like me who doesn't live there ?

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
So will we be able to choose whatever publications and websites we like to read to show up in our feed, or will we be stuck with whatever outlets Apple has already entered into a deal with?

They have to apply and get approved by Apple. Publishers can already start singing up.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I love Flipboard because I don't have Facebook, Twitter nor Instagram so that's my news' hub. News has potential but c'mon, three damn countries? Guess we'll have to wait for iOS 11 to have it worldwide.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I don't see apple updating this much after release, at least for a year. Still thinking third parties have the edge with features etc. We'll see once it gets released.

All the bundled apple apps seem to just be forgotten about for long periods of time. How long has Podcasts or iBooks gone without an update? I know podcasts is getting one now at least. But I don't think they've touched it since it got bundled last year...

Reactions: josephkrishna

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Slightly sidetracking, but is the News app not available yet on iOS 9 Beta 1?

Just installed iOS 9 beta 1 but it's not there. I live in the UK if that matters.

Thanks.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't see why the News app (and platform) is better than Flipboard. Yes, it looks nice and I am sure it will be really sleek and work very well, but so does Flipboard. Another plus for Flipboard is that it's available on much more countries than the News app will probably ever be. It is not that difficult Apple to make a News app available worldwide. #fail
Much smaller companies have already done stuff like that. Look at HTC for example.
They offer Blinkfeed and it works really great. It's my News aggregator of choice and it will remain. It's actually one of the main reasons I use my HTC One M9 instead of an iPhone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.