Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swealpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Hello Mojave category!

Has someone compared the cpu temp on Mojave vs El Capitan?

I have a macbook pro mid 2014 and really hate the fan noise because of my illness.
I wish someone tested this, because i really want to upgrade if the noise is same.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006

I have a macbook pro mid 2014 and really hate the fan noise because of my illness.
I wish someone tested this, because i really want to upgrade if the noise is same.

Do you have an external disk you can install Mojave on to test it?

In my experience, each new version has more background processes to provide more capabilities, which makes CPUs run more, which make fans run more. And you have three version steps to go through: Sierra, High Sierra, then Mojave. Also in my experience, the Mojave transition added a lot more background processes than previous transitions.

You may want to consider High Sierra instead of Mojave, unless you're adept at hunting down errant processes and eliminating them.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Mojave for me is great,
I do experience some fan noise and sputter while streaming sports
on my 2010 MacBook Air with 4GB RAM.

I don't think El Capitan would be an improvement since 2022 sites are geared for 8GB
what exactly is being noisy in El Cap.

also
providing info like what type of MacBook or mac you are using.
Mojave works very quiet on the 2012 MacMini with an i7 processor.

also.2
heavy usage will launch any fan to kept the laptop or computer cool
no matter what OSx you are running.

High sierra caused several shut downs and problems with both macbook and mini

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Hello Mojave category!

Greetings El Capitanian!

On my 2014 rMBP 15" with maxed out processor (2.8GHz), memory (16GB), and nVidia (2GB) graphics, I didn't notice a difference between El Cap and Mojave fan use. I went from El Cap -> Mojave and skipped Sierra/HighSierra because I liked El Cap so much. Mojave was the final 32-bit supporting macOS so I jumped up to Mojave on my 2014 rMBP, my 2015 rMBP (girlfriend's now), and my current main system 2019 MacBook Pro 15" which came with Mojave preinstalled (I'm keeping this machine as my legacy machine and will keep it on Mojave permanently and it's why I bought it since it's the final 15" model to support running Mojave - if I need/want a newer macOS it will have to be an Apple Silicon machine in the future). But I also keep Siri turned off on Mojave, not sure if that makes a difference.

As MBAir2010 asked, it depends on what you are running/doing. On my current 2019, I run Mojave and also Parallels 17 with two VMs at the same time (1 for my employer, and 1 for my client, both Win10 with Office365 and Teams, etc). I normally only hear the fans when running Teams/Zoom sessions (fan is around 30%), but fan will kick in 100% if Win10 does any indexing or updating. So I can have two Win10 VMs running on top of Mojave with 8GB RAM assigned to each VM and my system sits around 22GB-24GB RAM used and fans silent (Sidenote: 2019 has 32GB RAM but my girlfriend's 2015 16GB which used to be my main computer also ran this configuration but with 4GB assigned to each VM with pretty much similar performance - Win10 is mildly sluggish this way so the 2019 32GB helps a lot when running VMs). I'll work in Excel and PowerPoint and have Firefox in Mojave with half a dozen tabs open and iTunes playing music. The fan also comes on when playing Doom 3 as it kicks in the Radeon Vega 20 GPU I have. But it also kicked on playing Doom 3 on my 2014 wtih nVidia GPU.

swealpha: I know this isn't a great comparison for you, but here are my simplistic results from tonight for my 2019 on Mojave: My fan spun up briefly when first booting into Mojave and then quickly went silent. Sometimes it just comes on like a quick test on logging in from a cold start but then is silent. Then I launch Firefox, iTunes, Norton 360, Parallels, two VMs (assigning 4 cores and 8GB each). I launch both VMs at the same time and fans spin up to 100% and take 5 minutes to drop to 50% and 3 more minutes to drop to silent. So I can hear fans for about 6-7 minutes when first starting my VMs. In the room I'm in, as long as the fans are 30% or less I don't hear them unless everything else is in my house is silent. With all this going on, I have about 21GB RAM active, processor idling at 2.4GHz and 138 degree Fahrenheit, and fans at 0%. Unless I do something to engage the GPU or the CPU kicks in because of a Win10 update in one of the VMs, my 2019 is silent with Mojave. (Note: if I run an external monitor then I'll hear the fans more often, so keep that in mind as well. When I was using an LG 4K monitor with my 2015 MacBook Pro, the fans were on pretty much constantly but usually around 50% due to the GPU driving the external display at least in my experience).

So long story short, I would do what others suggested, and just create a bootable external Mojave drive and test drive for awhile.

Long live Mojave!

swealpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
I dont really need Mojave right now, but i will test. Thank you for your help!

One more thing, I think you should try this software. It makes the machine even more silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.