Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoogTheMagnificent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
For years, my Mac has been set to take screenshots in pdf format, and the resulting file is “Screenshot <date no time>.PDF”

Now I have a shiny new Mac Studio running Ventura. I’ve changed it so it takes screenshots as a pdf, just like before, but now the screenshot is labeled with a lower-case .pdf instead of a capital .PDF.

Sounds stupid, I know, but for many many years, I’ve had my sales guys trained so that when I send them a file with capital .PDF, they know it’s safe to show their client, because it isn’t an actual vector file they can take to another print shop and get printed cheaper.

I’ve been changing the extension manually, but sometimes I forget, and the sales guys are afraid to send the file out to the client for approval. Pain in my butt. Any idea how to make those screenshots use capital .PDF?

Thanks for your help!

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I think it's unusual that you had uppercase screenshot extensions.

However after some testing I discovered the following:

Send this command in Terminal (note uppercase PDF):

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type -string "PDF"

After this, screenshot extensions will also be uppercase.

(Note: There was some additional weirdness that involved the Screenshot app before the uppercase change occurred, if it doesn't work for you right away let me know.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.