Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
i spent a lot of time checking out the new iPads and the Folio keyboard this week. The iPads are great but I’m not feeling the Folio. It seems like the iPad can easily slip out of it. I use an Apple Smart Cover and a Tech 21 hard rear shell on my 10.5” iPad Pro. That combination has been very dependable.

Mac407

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
i spent a lot of time checking out the new iPads and the Folio keyboard this week. The iPads are great but I’m not feeling the Folio. It seems like the iPad can easily slip out of it. I use an Apple Smart Cover and a Tech 21 hard rear shell on my 10.5” iPad Pro. That combination has been very dependable.
No the magnets on the folio are very strong, I do not see the iPad falling out

Reactions: artfossil

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
I have the 11" and find that sometimes when I am switching the angle positions I accidentally disconnect my iPad from the back magnets which is a little frustrating at times. It doesn't happen every time but I'd prefer if the magnets were a little stronger. I'm not applying much force when it happens.

Reactions: ujjbd16

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I found the magnets strong when I had it set up to use the keyboard. I really had to pull at it to close the cover. I questioned the rest of it though. I'm picking up a new iPad this weekend (10", 12.9" or both - one will go back). Want to make sure they are protected.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I've held it by the case and shook it quite roughly upside down (ready to catch it if it did happen to drop) but there is no chance that thing is disconnecting accidentally.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I have the 11" and find that sometimes when I am switching the angle positions I accidentally disconnect my iPad from the back magnets which is a little frustrating at times. It doesn't happen every time but I'd prefer if the magnets were a little stronger. I'm not applying much force when it happens.
This has happened to me as well, but it happens pretty much every time. I have not had any issues with the regular folio, just the keyboard folio.

Reactions: ujjbd16

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
This has happened to me as well, but it happens pretty much every time. I have not had any issues with the regular folio, just the keyboard folio.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the version without the keyboard. It's extremely rare that I would use it.

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Nope. I got my IPP on launch day with the folio (non-keyboard), it's actually the nicest cover I've ever had on any of my 4 previous Ipads.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I have the regular folio on my 12.9. The back feels really secure, but if it’s not propped open on a flat surface it can topple over. Then there’s no protection for the pencil and it pops off. I’m returning the folio when the otterbox symmetry case arrives on Wednesday.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
Yes the back magnets have popped loose when I was holding it - the back magnets are not as strong as the edge magnets - its no big deal you just need to know how it all works after a few times you will get it- the pencil gets knocked off all the time for me

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California

My Husband has the (non keyboard) Apple Folio. I have been testing switching positions while the iPP is on my lap. I often end up disconnecting the back portion of the cover from the iPad. Plus, I find the edges very sharp and uncomfortable to hold after a few minutes. I do love the way it looks, but for me function is more important than form.

gjr74

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
PA, USA
My Husband has the (non keyboard) Apple Folio. I have been testing switching positions while the iPP is on my lap. I often end up disconnecting the back portion of the cover from the iPad. Plus, I find the edges very sharp and uncomfortable to hold after a few minutes. I do love the way it looks, but for me function is more important than form.
I found the edges sharp too but they seem to have softened up a bit since new.

Reactions: laurenr

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Are your magnets faulty or are you using it wrong? I just tried to get mine to pop off in a way other than it is supposed to and there is no way just adjusting the angle would ever cause the back to disconnect. The edges are a little sharp but in actual use I find it doesn't bother me.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Are your magnets faulty or are you using it wrong? I just tried to get mine to pop off in a way other than it is supposed to and there is no way just adjusting the angle would ever cause the back to disconnect. The edges are a little sharp but in actual use I find it doesn't bother me.
There is probably a good chance the magnets are faulty because of the obvious ease the case disconnects from the iPad. I don't think I will get this case. I want more corner and side protection for my device. i see the new UAG Metropolis Folio case has been released on the Best Buy website. I will probably go with that ; have used it on my 9.7” iPP for the past two years, and it is both comfortable to hold, and highly practical with it’s multiple viewing angles and detachable front cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.