Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
The husband has turned his scowl upside down. After six weeks of dissing my profligate “expensive” iPhone X purchase, he is opting in as his 6s plus also has slowed and stalled on IOS 11.x.x.

The real reason is it fits better in his pocket. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
At Least those who I know, Many seem to not want to spend that kind of money for the iPhone X quite yet or are content with the device they're currently using. And I think around the holidays, most are trying to be a little more frugal spending $1000. It's only been available for a month now that it's becoming more regularly stocked in stores

Last edited:
Reactions: MyMacintosh

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
At Least those who I know, Many seem to not want to spend that kind of money for the iPhone X quite yet or are content with the device they're currently using. And I think around the holidays, most are trying to be a little more frugal spending $1000. It's only been available for a month now that it's becoming more regularly stocked in stores

darn! Did not mean to open up that can of worm$ again. $$$$pending threads had just mellowed out. ;)

Reactions: Pipper99

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most people's jaw dropped that I would spend so much money on a phone. I don't see my using the X as a temptation as others to buy it.

Reactions: DantesFire

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
darn! Did not mean to open up that can of worm$ again. $$$$pending threads had just mellowed out. ;)

Not what I was indicating. I don't think anybody else is influenced by my own purchase for an iPhone X that would be inclined to go purchase their own. At least during the holidays, that's a lot of money for someone to spend unless they truly wanted this specific iPhone.

Last edited:

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I’ve been fairly discrete about owning an iPhone X, as I swore to everyone I know that I wouldn’t buy one.

The reason I bought one was because one of my friends got one and he let me try it out. I was sold.

Reactions: Mr.Chow and dwsc

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don’t own one but it was my conscious choice to get the 8 plus over the X.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don't see the X as all that expensive and it's definitely worth the upgrade from the 6s. He'll be happy with it.

I think for the tech you get, the price is justified when compared to the 8 plus or the 8. Having said that, if it’s worth for someone, that’s a subjective perspective / opinion.

Reactions: Pipper99

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Most of the people I work with thinks it's a ridiculous amount to pay for a phone, but I can see their point as that's pretty much the only thing they'd use it for. I use it for so much more, so for me personally, it's worth it. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't have an X, but the only person I work with who can afford to upgrade every year if she likes I did tell about it.

Her response was "I won't be buying another iPhone for a long time."

Her iPhone 7+ that she had just bought about nine months before the launch of the 8/8+ and then the X is the reason.

The other people I work with who have iPhones don't seem to be interested. The rest are Android owners, but most of them could not tell you what phone they do have.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think for the tech you get, the price is justified when compared to the 8 plus or the 8. Having said that, if it’s worth for someone, that’s a subjective perspective / opinion.

Of course. For me, it comes down to everything I use my iPhone for regularly. It is an essential tool to my daily life so I don't mind paying $50-$60 a month for it (I currently pay $41).

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I finally saw the x in best buy, I love the size and slightly bigger display compared to my ip7. I have an upgrade sitting in my back pocket waiting so trying to decide on the x or waiting for the S9. The price is tough to swallow as I would need the 256gb model. The notch stood out but I think I would get used to it

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I finally saw the x in best buy, I love the size and slightly bigger display compared to my ip7. I have an upgrade sitting in my back pocket waiting so trying to decide on the x or waiting for the S9. The price is tough to swallow as I would need the 256gb model. The notch stood out but I think I would get used to it

The notch fades away. Do you buy your phones outright or use a monthly plan? My X compared to my 7 Plus was only $2 more per month.

Reactions: callihan_44

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
One friend of mine was so negative about the X for months, till he started playing around with my X and I showed him in detail the screen, the gestures, Face ID, the camera, even Animoji's. After a couple of hours he slowly started saying he was more impressed by it than he expected. A couple of days later he said he was convinced and now wants one too.

All other friends are too scared to even hold it in their hands. Every time I hand it over they hold it in their hands like a new born baby afraid to drop it (I don't use a case). It's pretty funny to see, but also sad that it has come to this (phones costing so much that people are too afraid to even touch them). You can bet that they will never buy the X.

Reactions: jbizzybeetle

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I haven't been sold on the X by anyone else's. I simply prefer the wider screen of the 5.5" model over the tall skinny aspect ratio of the X.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
One friend of mine was so negative about the X for months, till he started playing around with my X and I showed him in detail the screen, the gestures, Face ID, the camera, even Animoji's. After a couple of hours, he slowly started saying he was more impressed by it than he expected. A couple of days later he said he was convinced and now wants one too.

All other friends are too scared to even hold it in their hands. Every time I hand it over they hold it in their hands like a newborn baby afraid to drop it (I don't use a case). It's pretty funny to see, but also sad that it has come to this (phones costing so much that people are too afraid to even touch them). You can bet that they will never buy the X.

LOL truth! All my coworkers can't believe I don't have a case on my phone and they've told me that they've broken pretty much every single phone they've owned. I don't see how people are so careless with their things or that they're that freaking clumsy.

Reactions: DantesFire

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
So far, I’ve convinced a couple people to buy. One bought two, one for herself, when she was only interested in buying one for her son this Christmas gift since he is graduating law school next year....I sold her on Animojis. :)

The other person bought one and played with it a few days, and gave his son his iPhone 7 Plus. Son said he wanted a X, too, or else no phone. So he took the 7 plus back and returned his X.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
So my iPhone 6s Plus was $949 at full retail, and my iPhone X is $999. Nobody freaked out about the price when I got the 6s Plus, but they think an extra $50 is unconscionable. Sigh.

you're comparing the Plus to a smaller size X. when the XI comes out with the same as as your 6s+, which probably be around $1300, then you can compare.

i have the 7+ with 256GB which i paid similar price last year, comparing to X..it is too much for $200 more for a smaller size.
[doublepost=1513120115][/doublepost]
So far, I’ve convinced a couple people to buy. One bought two, one for herself, when she was only interested in buying one for her son this Christmas gift since he is graduating law school next year....I sold her on Animojis. :)

The other person bought one and played with it a few days, and gave his son his iPhone 7 Plus. Son said he wanted a X, too, or else no phone. So he took the 7 plus back and returned his X.

Very good. if my son said that, i would do the same thing but my son is only 8 so there is a few more years before he gets a phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I want to use your post as an example, but not many are sold on Animoji's. And the reason they're not sold on the animoji's is because they feel it's sophomoric and childish in the sense of what it actually is used for. But I think what Apple is truly doing here, is exemplifying using the trueDepth Camera and its potential in the future with facial mapping. I think Apple has a greater plan with the use of the cameras and sensors in Face ID to show us more than just what Animoji's are. It's the technology behind it.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Very good. if my son said that, i would do the same thing but my son is only 8 so there is a few more years before he gets a phone.

It amazes me how much people can be ungrateful now a days.

I want to use your post as an example, but not many are sold on Animoji's. And the reason they're not sold on the animoji's is because they feel it's sophomoric and childish in the sense of what it actually is used for. But I think what Apple is truly doing here, is exemplifying using the trueDepth Camera and its potential in the future with facial mapping. I think Apple has a greater plan with the use of the cameras and sensors in Face ID to show us more than just what Animoji's are. It's the technology behind it.

The thing is, I was amazed that was all it took. I demoed animojis in some texts. Boom. She said she had to have my phone, and sure enough, a week later, two orders for the X. I’ve never met anyone so easily sold.

I probably don’t think about it enough though, but I agree it’s pretty impressive technology. However, we all know what the real seller of this phone really is (whispers: it’s the notch!)

Reactions: 44267547

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
you're comparing the Plus to a smaller size X. when the XI comes out with the same as as your 6s+, which probably be around $1300, then you can compare.

i have the 7+ with 256GB which i paid similar price last year, comparing to X..it is too much for $200 more for a smaller size.
[doublepost=1513120115][/doublepost]

No, I can go ahead and compare now, thanks. Even compared to the smaller 6, the $200 is not too much. Come to think of it, the extra $200 is even more reasonable compared to the smaller 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.