Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The 5s is a bit different as it is 64bit and has access to other apps, but I often use my 5S for older games, iPod (it has a headphone jack ;) ), as well as a mini video player on a desktop phone cradle when I sit at one of my smaller tables / desks.

Decent cameras, internal storage, & built in wireless can give some other options that are super handy (in my experience).

with a fisheye lens clip, and a windshield phone holder, I have (in a pinch) used mine as a dashcam (clearly don’t leave it in the car when you get out) in a rental car when traveling for work. Video quality is good, and if something happens that you need to share with police (or much more often) want to share on YouTube, it can Airdrop to a more modern phone with service to share.

At home, I tend to use old phones as a pop-up security camera (some apps can output RTSP) and monitor spaces or areas using some mac apps, or my iPads using VLC. For instance, if you have an important package (say your new iPhone, or Amazon Package) coming, but you are in your garage or back yard, you can Monitor a space with video and sound.

These are dang good little devices for some of these items for sure.

I also still have a 5c that serves as an emergency phone for our kids. We put a prepaid SIM card in it, works great for calling and also FaceTime.
They lack voLTE, how are you using it as a phone? Most all 3G networks are completely gone these days. Clearly FaceTime Audio / Video would work so maybe you are doing that?

I wish I still could use my 5S as a general phone (in a pinch) but the oldest phone that has voLTE is the 6.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
The 5s is a bit different as it is 64bit and has access to other apps, but I often use my 5S for older games, iPod (it has a headphone jack ;) ), as well as a mini video player on a desktop phone cradle when I sit at one of my smaller tables / desks.

Decent cameras, internal storage, & built in wireless can give some other options that are super handy (in my experience).

with a fisheye lens clip, and a windshield phone holder, I have (in a pinch) used mine as a dashcam (clearly don’t leave it in the car when you get out) in a rental car when traveling for work. Video quality is good, and if something happens that you need to share with police (or much more often) want to share on YouTube, it can Airdrop to a more modern phone with service to share.

At home, I tend to use old phones as a pop-up security camera (some apps can output RTSP) and monitor spaces or areas using some mac apps, or my iPads using VLC. For instance, if you have an important package (say your new iPhone, or Amazon Package) coming, but you are in your garage or back yard, you can Monitor a space with video and sound.

These are dang good little devices for some of these items for sure.

They lack voLTE, how are you using it as a phone? Most all 3G networks are completely gone these days. Clearly FaceTime Audio / Video would work so maybe you are doing that?

I wish I still could use my 5S as a general phone (in a pinch) but the oldest phone that has voLTE is the 6.
I am based in Switzerland, phone is working on the normal network of major provide without any issues. Network setup might differ from the US.

Reactions: 840quadra

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
Man I love iPhone 5 form factor. Always hoped Apple would make ”SE” model like that but with full size screen. Would be an instant buy for me. I have always found current iPhones too wide and unconfortable to use.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The iPhone 5 is metal, but doesn't weigh a lot. The 5c, which has the guts of the iPhone 5, but in a plastic casing is a bit lighter. ;)
iPhone 5 has an aluminum body while iPhone 5c has a polycarbonate (plastic) body with a stainless steel frame supporting the body, which makes it heavier than the iPhone 5...

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
Go on a holiday to a 3rd world country and just give it to somebody who needs it. I did this with my 5c in Vanuatu a couple of years ago 👍🏻

Reactions: 840quadra

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Pls fix your prefix to "iPhone 5 or earlier"

As to what to do with it. I'd either sell, give away, or trade in your 2013 iPhone. It takes up space and could possibly be a fire hazard because of a bad battery.

I wish my country would phase out 3 decade old 2G & 2 decade old 3G by now to free up more spectrum for better 4 year old 5G coverage.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If I were you, once nothing is needed, erase all content and settings then at the set up process, I would not sign in my iCloud account... Once the set up process is complete, I will sign in my iCloud account on the App Store then attempt to download whatever app that is still compatible with iOS 10.3.3 and iPhone 5/5c and once I have done so, sign out my iCloud account... After all the apps are downloaded, check the versions of the apps that managed to be installed on the phone...

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
截屏2023-09-25 下午6.28.15.png
A lad here made a clock using 12 iPhone 5c
[/URL]

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iPhone 5 has an aluminum body while iPhone 5c has a polycarbonate (plastic) body with a stainless steel frame supporting the body, which makes it heavier than the iPhone 5...
OK, thanks. I've only held a 5c once…a coworker's phone at work. It seemed lighter than my 5 to me at the time.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Up until about 2.5 years ago I'd use a regular 5 in bed. It got pretty bad towards the end. Very few apps, and pretty darn slow.

Reactions: sack_peak

iPhone Andy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
The iPhone 5C no longer receives security updates and thus presents a massive security risk if connected to your Apple ID or your network.

Modern iPhones recently received a security patch that prevents an attacker from taking over your entire device with a single text message you wouldn’t even know you received because it deletes itself.

Don’t take the risk. Take it to Apple for recycling so it can become a new iPhone someday.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The iPhone 5C no longer receives security updates and thus presents a massive security risk if connected to your Apple ID or your network.

Modern iPhones recently received a security patch that prevents an attacker from taking over your entire device with a single text message you wouldn’t even know you received because it deletes itself.

Don’t take the risk. Take it to Apple for recycling so it can become a new iPhone someday.
OP has already stated that they won't be using their Apple ID with the device.

However, if OP creates a new Apple ID, unconnected to their primary, what is the problem?

If the device is being used solely on WiFi at home as an iPod or a clock, what is the problem?

Nowhere did OP make any indication that this phone would be used either as a primary phone or to do anything risky.

Seriously, this whole freakout over security updates and old phones needs to stop. Most aren't used as a primary device.

iPhone Andy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
OP has already stated that they won't be using their Apple ID with the device.

However, if OP creates a new Apple ID, unconnected to their primary, what is the problem?

If the device is being used solely on WiFi at home as an iPod or a clock, what is the problem?

Nowhere did OP make any indication that this phone would be used either as a primary phone or to do anything risky.

Seriously, this whole freakout over security updates and old phones needs to stop. Most aren't used as a primary device.
If the iPhone is connected to the same network as their primary devices, it poses a risk to those devices.

Malware could also turn the camera or microphone on. It could be used as part of a botnet. The list goes on.

Reactions: tunastink

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
If the iPhone is connected to the same network as their primary devices, it poses a risk to those devices.

Malware could also turn the camera or microphone on. It could be used as part of a botnet. The list goes on.
TBH anyone who uses an abandoned device likely does not have anything of value to protect.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

And a meteor could fall on my house. It's possible.

But how likely is all this to happen?

OP isn't taking the device on a joyride through the dark web or visiting sketchy websites with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.