Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
As the title says, I've got a new MBA on the way and the manuals always say charge battery fully before use on everything with a rechargeable battery. Is this really necessary to do on the MBA. I am not sure if I can wait that long to use it ;). I know how to take care of the battery after i start using it...but i just didn't know about this one thing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The battery gauge might be way off until you do a complete charge, complete discharge and complete charge cycle. Other than that, unless you run the battery down and somehow crash and trash the system, it's probably perfectly safe to use your MBA right out of the box. Maybe plug it in first to be safe. YMMV.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
The battery gauge might be way off until you do a complete charge, complete discharge and complete charge cycle. Other than that, unless you run the battery down and somehow crash and trash the system, it's probably perfectly safe to use your MBA right out of the box. Maybe plug it in first to be safe. YMMV.

I know the battery gauge won't be right until i do the full cycle. Also, I always plug my new devices in and let them charge to 100%...i just use it while its charging lol. Thanks for your advice :)

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
As the title says, I've got a new MBA on the way and the manuals always say charge battery fully before use on everything with a rechargeable battery. Is this really necessary to do on the MBA. I am not sure if I can wait that long to use it ;). I know how to take care of the battery after i start using it...but i just didn't know about this one thing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Just plug it in and use it and enjoy ... after you have had it a couple of days let it discharge down into the low single digit range ... and don't worry so much ... just enjoy!

It probably won't take long for it to fully charge if you leave it as is though.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Just plug it in and use it and enjoy ... after you have had it a couple of days let it discharge down into the low single digit range ... and don't worry so much ... just enjoy!

It probably won't take long for it to fully charge if you leave it as is though.

Awesome! Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear :)

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
I went searching for the manual and I found the online version at apples a website...apparently it doesnt even say charge it fully first. "When you connect the power adapter to your MacBook Air, the indicator light on the MagSafe connector starts to glow. An amber light indicates that the battery is charging. A green light indicates that the battery is fully charged. If you don’t see a light, make sure the connector is seated properly and the power adapter is plugged into a working power outlet.
Step 2: Press the power button (®) briefly to turn on your MacBook Air.
The power button is located in the upper right corner of your keyboard. When you turn on your MacBook Air, you hear a startup tone."

Just says plug it in a go lol thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I went searching for the manual and I found the online version at apples a website...apparently it doesnt even say charge it fully first. "When you connect the power adapter to your MacBook Air, the indicator light on the MagSafe connector starts to glow. An amber light indicates that the battery is charging. A green light indicates that the battery is fully charged. If you don’t see a light, make sure the connector is seated properly and the power adapter is plugged into a working power outlet.
Step 2: Press the power button (®) briefly to turn on your MacBook Air.
The power button is located in the upper right corner of your keyboard. When you turn on your MacBook Air, you hear a startup tone."

Just says plug it in a go lol thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it :)

Because Apple's position is that a new battery does not need to be conditioned.

And I agree with them.

All this obsession with a full charge reading 100% instead of 99% is a waste of time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The battery gauge might be way off until you do a complete charge, complete discharge and complete charge cycle.
It is not necessary to cycle the battery before the indicator is accurate. Also, new built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and don't require regular calibration. Just plug it in and start using it. Run on battery when you need to and plug it in whenever you can. Just be sure you don't run on battery all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.