Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Most noticeable against greys

I find gruber’s daringfireball.net to be the best test

I have the faintest one on bottom left of mine, super small and like a blot less pronounced and long to be an actual line, doesn’t show up in most situations.. I just hope it doesn’t continue or run up the side. My display is otherwise perfect and I’m not gonna bother or fiddling but

it’s like a “bruising” or shadow effect. Had it on an Xr running up the side. The replacement eventually developed it in top left bunny ear. I’ve heard 11 (non pro) are affected as well since they’re essentially the same screen

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is it like a flickering shadow easily seen on light backgrounds? Had that happen on an iPad Pro 12.9 and got the device replaced for free under warranty.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s one of those ‘watchful waiting‘ type of situations to see if it worsens or not. My guess, is it will start to spread over the course of time as the display ages, which unfortunately, will likely push you out of your warranty.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It’s one of those ‘watchful waiting‘ type of situations to see if it worsens or not. My guess, is it will start to spread over the course of time as the display ages, which unfortunately, will likely push you out of your warranty.

Was this a problem with 8?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Weird.

SE2. Went to Daring Fireball and saw it too, particularly when scrolling, but not seeing it on simple gray color samples.

Went back to DF and was gone.

Wondering if an "optical illusion" ala should not wear stripes on TV due to will get weird patterns? Something with gray and how the site is coded adding up to looking off? Eyes adjusted to the combination to make it go away?

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Sounds like there’s some shoddy craftsmanship on the new phones. Hopefully the 12’s will be built a bit better. I bought a red one for my wife in may or june and it’s holding up ok. The battery is down a few points, so that’s not cool. But other than that it’s a decent phone in the fact that it has a good camera and is zippy. She said the battery life is like the 7 she had before it. But myself I have grown accustomed to the new generation of iPhone, and prefer it. The notch doesn’t bother me in the slightest because my screen is huge @ 6.5”.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Weird.

SE2. Went to Daring Fireball and saw it too, particularly when scrolling, but not seeing it on simple gray color samples.

Went back to DF and was gone.

Wondering if an "optical illusion" ala should not wear stripes on TV due to will get weird patterns? Something with gray and how the site is coded adding up to looking off? Eyes adjusted to the combination to make it go away?

Nah its definitely screen related. I think daring fireball just uses a standard grey backdrop

I think the bruising showing up is temperature dependent too, at least was on my XR.

its still really faint in bottom left corner and hasn't grown any (yet) so thats good

--

I Know even though the XR bruising was kinda widespread, very few people noticed it. Many blamed it on screen protector installations, too or something like that hah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.