Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I currently have a Blackberry with at&t, in contract, not eligible for an upgrade until November. But I want the new iPhone, so I'm prepared to pay full price for it, but can I keep my same phone number? Can I just take the sim out of my Blackberry and put it into the iPhone? If not how do I keep the same number?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
You will need the SIM the iPhone comes with. I think you could use your current SIM you have now, but what is the point?

You can also keep your number. You do all of that through iTunes.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I currently have a Blackberry with at&t, in contract, not eligible for an upgrade until November. But I want the new iPhone, so I'm prepared to pay full price for it, but can I keep my same phone number? Can I just take the sim out of my Blackberry and put it into the iPhone? If not how do I keep the same number?

I was in the same boat as you when I got my first iPhone.

During your activation via iTunes, you will need to provide some personal information to validate your current AT&T account and it will do the rest for you. I would just call later on to verify that either BIS/BES has been removed from you account so that you dont get charged for those services.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
He might need a 3G enabled SIM card if he's getting a 3G iPhone. In that case, just get ATT to switch your account to the new SIM card. I've had it done before when I lost my phone with a different carrier.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
You have to activate the iPhone with iTunes anyway. So it's not even worth the effort to remove the SIM card from the BB and then install it in the iPhone. Because you still have to activate it in iTunes.

So in iTunes, just say you are switching an existing AT&T/Cingular number and it goes from there.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001

I switched from AT&T BlackBerry BES account to iPhone. There is nothing to it. No need to take the SIM out of the BlackBerry.

All you need to do is the following:

Insert the new iPhone into iTunes.
The software will ask if this is to replace an existing AT&T account. Say yes.
Your BlackBerry Data plan will be replaced with the AT&T iPhone data plan.

The AT&T site takes a little bit longer to reflect this change, but it works as expected and there is nothing for you to do. You keep your existing number.

It took me all of 1 minute to transfer from BlackBerry to iPhone.

Alex Alexzander

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
yeah just leave the SIM in the BB and activate with new SIM in iPhone.. BB sim wont work.... unless you love your current tariff with your BB, then just get the BB data removed and replace it with normal data plan and jb iphone and put old BB Sim..

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I just made the switch from my BB as well Saturday, except I took the SIM from my BB and inserted it in to the iPhone. I then hooked it up to iTunes and followed the prompts and it took less than 5 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.