Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonMurray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
So I have no idea how to upgrade to 10.4 I see I can buy the install disks on eBay for 10.4 but I have no idea of the implications of upgrading to this? Will programs that run on 10.3 run on 10.4 ? Or will it be a hung hassle to get my other programs to work again. ?
I have image print and fix print with a little scanner. This is a color calibration setup that will surely save me time.

I plugged this machine into live ethernet and tried to upgrade and the www.apple.com said it could not make a secure connection. And if I did go this rout and try to upgrade with apple and I did find an apple id that my father used would that even be possible to upgrade that way?

Also, a bit off-topic This WED I took an SSD 256gig HD and That OS X transferred its OS to that SSD drive just like that no hitch! IT BOOTED - YOu do not find that kind of built-in sensibility in the windows PC world! I won't touch a PC if I can not clone it! NO WAY !!! I shake my head at PC users probably the same way Mac users do if they love HD HD cloning as I do.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You have to get an installer DVD (not the grey one).

Most software that works in 10.3 will likely work without issue in 10.4. I can't think of any which wouldn't.

Have you looked at Gutenprint? There may be open source drivers which will work for your printer and in 10.3. As it supports a lot of printers. I don't know the latest version of Gutenprint supported. It looks like 5.2.14. Which is shockingly recent.

I've been using Gutenprint a long time. When it was called GIMP Print. I often prefer their drivers to OEM drivers.

Reactions: DonMurray

DonMurray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
I have a CD for a Microteck Scannwizard Pro 9800Xl but it says it needs OS x 9 system folder. THat was the same case fot he designjet drivers. This 10.3 seams to be a transitional os ? Is there a way to install older drivers?
So yes Im for sure a newbie I did not even know how to open the DVD !

DonMurray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
So I have grey disks that came with this computer it says 10.3 on it Are you saying these disks will not work to do a clean install? What is their purpose if you can not use them to install the OS? It seems the install is stable and I am thinking I will buy a drop in cpu 10.4 ? ? then maybe the drivers will install. ? IS there a place I can download an OS 10.4 and make an install DVD ? Im thinking of ordering a 10.4 os install. ?

I do not get why the HP website has drivers for every MAC OS from 8 to 9 all the way up to 10.11 but it skips over 10.3 ? That baffles me. what's up ? is 10.3 a bad os version? What I learn by using 10.4 will this help me much to know if I end up buying a brand new Mac? Or find myself with a job using a new mac? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I have a CD for a Microteck Scannwizard Pro 9800Xl but it says it needs OS x 9 system folder. THat was the same case fot he designjet drivers. This 10.3 seams to be a transitional os ? Is there a way to install older drivers?
So yes Im for sure a newbie I did not even know how to open the DVD !

If it requires an OS 9 folder. It may only be for Mac OS 9. 10.3 isn't a transitional OS. There was just still a lot of stuff out there which requires Mac OS 9. So, Mac OS X still had classic mode. For that you'll need to install Mac OS 9. Since you have the restore discs. It's probably one of those discs.

So I have grey disks that came with this computer it says 10.3 on it Are you saying these disks will not work to do a clean install? What is their purpose if you can not use them to install the OS? It seems the install is stable and I am thinking I will buy a drop in cpu 10.4 ? ? then maybe the drivers will install. ? IS there a place I can download an OS 10.4 and make an install DVD ? Im thinking of ordering a 10.4 os install. ?

I do not get why the HP website has drivers for every MAC OS from 8 to 9 all the way up to 10.11 but it skips over 10.3 ? That baffles me. what's up ? is 10.3 a bad os version? What I learn by using 10.4 will this help me much to know if I end up buying a brand new Mac? Or find myself with a job using a new mac? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !

The ones which came with the computer are fine. It's just the grey discs are machine specific. A 10.4 grey disc may not be compatible with your computer. Really, it has everything in it needed for your computer. They just lock out installing on a model which didn't include the discs. As they were still charging for Mac OS upgrades then. They didn't want someone buying a new Mac then upgrading all their other ones for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.