Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
I clicked in spotlight to find where the "preferences" folder was .... Only one came up - the os9 one (also FileMaker preferences-so two really)

????:confused:

Should I rebuild the desktop or something or is it a bug for all?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
glosterseagul said:
I clicked in spotlight to find where the "preferences" folder was .... Only one came up - the os9 one (also FileMaker preferences-so two really)

????:confused:

Should I rebuild the desktop or something or is it a bug for all?

it is not a bug...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You can reindex Spotlight through System Preferences by selecting your hard drive in the Privacy tab and then deselecting it. Did that make sense? Sorry, it's really hot here at the moment and I think my brain has melted. :(

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mad jew said:
You can reindex Spotlight through System Preferences by selecting your hard drive in the Privacy tab and then deselecting it. Did that make sense? Sorry, it's really hot here at the moment and I think my brain has melted. :(

err no. can you try again...thanks for your help

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
not wanting to derail the thread, but how do you reindex spotlight? i have done it before but i just cant find it now!!!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
russed said:
not wanting to derail the thread, but how do you reindex spotlight? i have done it before but i just cant find it now!!!
The easiest way is to just add the drive you want to reindex to the "privacy" list, which deletes the existing index, then remove it, which will rebuild it.

You can also manually delete the hidden spotlight index folder, or (I think) force a re-index using a terminal command, but the above method usually works and is the easiest.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Makosuke said:
The easiest way is to just add the drive you want to reindex to the "privacy" list, which deletes the existing index, then remove it, which will rebuild it.

You can also manually delete the hidden spotlight index folder, or (I think) force a re-index using a terminal command, but the above method usually works and is the easiest.

cheers, thanks for that, its reindexing now, however i feel my problem may be more deep rooted than just a reindex - oh well!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
glosterseagul said:
err no. can you try again...thanks for your help

Makosuke said:

Sorry, that's what I was trying to get at. It's in System Preferences (the Spotlight section). Just click on the Privacy tab and then add your hard drive using the little plus button. Close the System Preferences, open them again and follow the same procedure but this time remove the hard drive from your Privacy list using the little minus button.

It's cooled off now so hopefully that made a little more sense. :)

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mad jew said:
Sorry, that's what I was trying to get at. It's in System Preferences (the Spotlight section). Just click on the Privacy tab and then add your hard drive using the little plus button. Close the System Preferences, open them again and follow the same procedure but this time remove the hard drive from your Privacy list using the little minus button.

It's cooled off now so hopefully that made a little more sense. :)

thanks doing it now!

I'll see if it finds it ....

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mad jew said:
Which two? I get the Library folder and user folder, both named just Preferences, plus two others named System Preferences and Safe Preferences. :)

2....os 9 pref and filemaker pref?????
I have re-indexed and I still cant see my osx pref folder thro spotlight : (

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Stupid question, but what if you Show All?

Also, can we assume the OSX preference folders are still installed and named properly? 1497 is an unusually large amount of hits IMO. I only get 133.

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mad jew said:
Stupid question, but what if you Show All?

Also, can we assume the OSX preference folders are still installed and named properly? 1497 is an unusually large amount of hits IMO. I only get 133.

ooops :eek:

errr i do feel a smidge silly:rolleyes:

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mad jew said:
Hehe. Now you've got me worried because I can only find 133 results. :D

that's my point you see = safari is not consistent!!!!:D

Thanks for your help.

Am I a numpty or what!! (please don't answer that!):rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm not really worried. I put it down to me simply having less references to preferences[i/] on my Mac.

You're no Numpty™, although I think you may confuse Safari with Spotlight every now and then... :D

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mad jew said:
I'm not really worried. I put it down to me simply having less references to preferences[i/] on my Mac.

You're no Numpty™, although I think you may confuse Safari with Spotlight every now and then... :D

LOL - In my little world of Numptyness™ they ARE the same! Break it to me gently why don't you!
:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is the Numpty™ Dance my chance to do the Nump™? :D

Seriously...what exactly were you looking for, anyway? Almost all preference files should be stored either in /library/preferences or ~/library/preferences....

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Is the Numpty™ Dance my chance to do the Nump™? :D

Seriously...what exactly were you looking for, anyway? Almost all preference files should be stored either in /library/preferences or ~/library/preferences....

My vlc was not working so I just wanted to throw away the preference file....but being a numpty I didn't know where the pref foldr was ....I do now:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.