Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Back to the bad old days without BootCamp it seems. Really would love to try the D4 beta. Is there a good option that isn't clunky? How it Parrallels etc these days? Laggy when gaming?

Reactions: Irishman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there a good option that isn't clunky?
If you want to get into gaming, your options are quite limited.

Clunky options: Running ARM based windows via Parallels. My experience is most x86 apps don't work too well, and I've had very poor luck with games. Wine (CrossOver) same result as Parallels - most things don't seem to run

Non-clunky options (but expensive). Buy/build a PC. Really if you want to play games, getting a cheap gaming PC, is really the most seamless and easiest approach. Its not the cheapest approach, but its the one that is guaranteed to get you up and running with zero fuss.

Another non-clunky option is just limit yourself to what's available on steam for games. The selection isn't great, especially for AAA games, but there are games.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
If you want to get into gaming, your options are quite limited.

Clunky options: Running ARM based windows via Parallels. My experience is most x86 apps don't work too well, and I've had very poor luck with games. Wine (CrossOver) same result as Parallels - most things don't seem to run

Non-clunky options (but expensive). Buy/build a PC. Really if you want to play games, getting a cheap gaming PC, is really the most seamless and easiest approach. Its not the cheapest approach, but its the one that is guaranteed to get you up and running with zero fuss.

Another non-clunky option is just limit yourself to what's available on steam for games. The selection isn't great, especially for AAA games, but there are games.

I’m not sure, but I think he was asking specifically about Diablo 4?

But there is yet another non-clunky option: buy an intel Mac, either new or used, and use Bootcamp to run Windows natively on that.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I’m not sure, but I think he was asking specifically about Diablo 4?

But there is yet another non-clunky option: buy an intel Mac, either new or used, and use Bootcamp to run Windows natively on that.
Have since installed Parrallels and Diablo 4..

I have a 16inch 2019 MBP laptop but I get an error saying my GPU doesn't support d12x!

My Studio gets an error message on startup saying no GPU found!

Parallels support seems to be pretty poor too. Did some searching on this and people with the issue get linked to an outdated article with options that no longer exist within parallels to fix it.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Parallels doesn't support d12x yet, so there is nothing to be done, unless Diablo 14 has a flag to make it with with d11x.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Diablo 2 Resurrected released in 2021 is still unsupported on MacOS since it requires DirectX 12. You'll have to wait until Crossover adds DirectX 12 support.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Have since installed Parrallels and Diablo 4..

I have a 16inch 2019 MBP laptop but I get an error saying my GPU doesn't support d12x!

My Studio gets an error message on startup saying no GPU found!

Parallels support seems to be pretty poor too. Did some searching on this and people with the issue get linked to an outdated article with options that no longer exist within parallels to fix it.

ETA: I totally misunderstood your question, and spent way too much time answering the wrong question.

My apologies

Last edited:

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
ETA: I totally misunderstood your question, and spent way too much time answering the wrong question.

My apologies
Oh no I read your pre-edited reply earlier and it made me think about it… making space on the 2019 I tell MBP and doing boot camp there. At least I could try the game that way.

Gathering motivation to do it though, urned hours doing parallels and installs on both comps yesterday. Need to undo and go again!

Thanks really! Simplest solutions are the best :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Oh no I read your pre-edited reply earlier and it made me think about it… making space on the 2019 I tell MBP and doing boot camp there. At least I could try the game that way.

Gathering motivation to do it though, urned hours doing parallels and installs on both comps yesterday. Need to undo and go again!

Thanks really! Simplest solutions are the best :)

I hear you!

I finally found my thread from back in the day when I had found an Installation method that worked for me and my Mac.

You may not even have to worry about the USB key step. I had to, because of the age of my Mac.

Let us know when you decide what to do?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TJ82

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Back to the bad old days without BootCamp it seems. Really would love to try the D4 beta. Is there a good option that isn't clunky? How it Parrallels etc these days? Laggy when gaming?

So you don't have an Intel Mac with the capability of running Bootcamp then? That really seems to be the only way to make it work currently.

I play D2 quite a bit on Bootcamp with my late 2014 27" iMac.

brooot

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Here's the rub for me - I have an intel Mac, but the latest video drivers from AMD are 20.xx.xx.xx and the game requires 21.xx.xx or the like. So, there is no way for me to run D4 on Bootcamp currently. At least with my 2013 mac pro.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Here's the rub for me - I have an intel Mac, but the latest video drivers from AMD are 20.xx.xx.xx and the game requires 21.xx.xx or the like. So, there is no way for me to run D4 on Bootcamp currently. At least with my 2013 mac pro.
This is the issue. Any chance MacOS Ventura came with new bootcamp drivers?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.