Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnnaCody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
CAPE COD
Verizon just announced my iPhone 4s won't be supported by their 5G which will start January 2023. I bought this in 2012, it's still going strong even after being dropped on concrete from the top stair in my basement.

Anyhow, should I wait until the end of the year or will there be a shortage? Or will there be some nice sales later in the year? I'm looking at the iPhone 12. I don't want the 13. Will there be a new iPhone before 2023?

Also, is this true of all carriers? That they will switch to the 5G in 2023?

Thanks for your help with this!

Reactions: Ram65

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Verizon just announced my iPhone 4s won't be supported by their 5G which will start January 2023. I bought this in 2012, it's still going strong even after being dropped on concrete from the top stair in my basement.

Anyhow, should I wait until the end of the year or will there be a shortage? Or will there be some nice sales later in the year? I'm looking at the iPhone 12. I don't want the 13. Will there be a new iPhone before 2023?

You should of been upgraded From the iPhone 4s . But anyway there will be a new iPhone before 2023. There’s always sales with the carriers. And most networks are shutting down there 3g networks .

Reactions: AnnaCody

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
You don't need 5G, 4G will continue to work, 3G is being shut down, and yes by all carriers (in the United States, but also other countries are in the process as well). You also need voice over LTE or voLTE.

There will be a new iPhone in 2022 as usual (in the fall). If you want to get the new one early on you would have to preorder otherwise availability is usually very poor in the first few months as it is with all iPhone releases.

AnnaCody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
CAPE COD
Thanks everyone for your replies. They've helped me put this into perspective. And make some decisions going forward.

Last edited:

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

If you've got the nerve, wait until next Fall. With December 31, 2022 targeted as the CDMA shutdown date, you can expect Verizon to offer some very good deals on VoLTE capable phones for those whose phones will stop working.

AnnaCody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
CAPE COD
If you've got the nerve, wait until next Fall. With December 31, 2022 targeted as the CDMA shutdown date, you can expect Verizon to offer some very good deals on VoLTE capable phones for those whose phones will stop working.
I was hoping this would be the case. I don't use the phone much...went on permanent vacation awhile back. So I can wait and wouldn't even consider a new one if it weren't for this change. I love my little 2012 4s iPhone :cool: Thank you!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Honestly I don't think it matters if you wait. The difference between an iPhone 4S and iPhone 13 will make the difference between the iPhone 13 and 14 indistinguishable. Completely up to you of course but if money is a concern you get the 13 when its price drops around the time of launch. Or wait for the iPhone 14 and post back here in 2032... :)

AnnaCody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
CAPE COD
Honestly I don't think it matters if you wait. The difference between an iPhone 4S and iPhone 13 will make the difference between the iPhone 13 and 14 indistinguishable. Completely up to you of course but if money is a concern you get the 13 when its price drops around the time of launch. Or wait for the iPhone 14 and post back here in 2032... :)
Thanks! Yeah, I like to keep things a long time. Especially when there's no need to replace something. I'll probably wait 'til the last minute and get the most out of the 4S.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Thanks! Yeah, I like to keep things a long time. Especially when there's no need to replace something. I'll probably wait 'til the last minute and get the most out of the 4S.

Maybe i am wrong. But iPhone 4S does not support LTE or 4G whatsoever. iPhone 4S support HSPA+ maximum, which is still 3G. When 3G network shutdown this year, you won't able to use your iPhone 4S at all.

Only iPhone 6 and above will work after 3G network shutdown. Even though iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S supports LTE, but both phone lake VoLTE support, therefore, you won't able to make phone calls.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Have to ask, is this phone using the original battery ? Really impressive if it is !

Obviously you aren't worried about the latest and greatest when it comes to phones (and there's no need to be either), you might want to look at the "mini" models, currently available with the 12 and 13. There's also a 2020 model of the SE.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Also, there’s the rumored iPhone SE 3 probably in April.

I’m sort of considering that one if it checks off enough boxes for me. It’ll at least have the latest processor and be 5G. Hoping for an improved camera, but like others have said, anything currently sold by Apple will be a big step up from a 4S.

You can’t really go wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.