Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
My previous watches including things like the Casio databank lol. tech was always the most meaningful part of the watch to me
Me too, though back in the day I wanted my tech in the watch's movement. I'm talking about my Spaceview Accutron -- no springs, gears and wheels, no quartz crystal, rather a tuning fork that played an F# note you could hear if you held the watch to your ear.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Working on a Digital Detox ATM, so I absolutely consider going back to a mechanical watch.
Tomorrow I'll have a new battery in my iPhone SE (first Gen), which will become my EDC.
My iPhone 11 and my Apple Watch will remain my activity/health tracking system for a while still.
But I plan to stop using this rather addictive :rolleyes: system by the end of the Summer.
At which point I will pick up one of my mechanical watches again into my EDC.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Working on a Digital Detox ATM, so I absolutely consider going back to a mechanical watch.
Tomorrow I'll have a new battery in my iPhone SE (first Gen), which will become my EDC.
My iPhone 11 and my Apple Watch will remain my activity/health tracking system for a while still.
But I plan to stop using this rather addictive :rolleyes: system by the end of the Summer.
At which point I will pick up one of my mechanical watches again into my EDC.
What's EDC?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the clarification.

A little off topic for this thread, but how does switching from iPhone 11 to SE help with a digital detox?
At the risk of indeed derailing this thread, allow me to be brief.

Using my Apple Watch + iPhone 11 as my activity tracking system, but it looks more and more like I'm addicted to data (calories burned, VO2max) that are somewhat approximate at best.
So I'm about to replace my AW by one of my former mechanical watches and my iPhone 11 by a dumbed down SE. Meaning: no internet, no iCloud, no 3rd party apps, no music, no pictures, no games, no nothing - just a small phone for emergency only.

Reactions: StoneJack

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At the risk of indeed derailing this thread, allow me to be brief.

Using my Apple Watch + iPhone 11 as my activity tracking system, but it looks more and more like I'm addicted to data (calories burned, VO2max) that are somewhat approximate at best.
So I'm about to replace my AW by one of my former mechanical watches and my iPhone 11 by a dumbed down SE. Meaning: no internet, no iCloud, no 3rd party apps, no music, no pictures, no games, no nothing - just a small phone for emergency only.
Very interesting. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you could just as well whittle down your 11 to minimal phone functions, but you find it easier to resist the temptation to add more function with an SE. Is that correct?

Also interesting to hear that you find the data tracking on the Apple watch to be addictive. I guess I'm addicted in the sense that I check the data every day. But for me it's a good thing, because it motivates me to do the minimum amount of physical activity every day.

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Very interesting. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you could just as well whittle down your 11 to minimal phone functions, but you find it easier to resist the temptation to add more function with an SE. Is that correct?

Yes, but my main reasons are:
1- For now I still need my 11 as a companion to my Watch for activity tracking. But like I said, I don't plan on holding on to that duo for much longer. Still, I might hang on to the 11 as a "mini home computer" for email, Youtube...
2- The size and weight of the SE are far more portable than the 11.

Also interesting to hear that you find the data tracking on the Apple watch to be addictive. I guess I'm addicted in the sense that I check the data every day. But for me it's a good thing, because it motivates me to do the minimum amount of physical activity every day.

Same here, sorry for perhaps having used the wrong word. I mean, motivation vs addiction...

Reactions: Night Spring

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I started wearing mechanical watches on my days off and when I am on vacation.
I don't have to remember to pack the apple watch charger anymore.

Reactions: StoneJack

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
I've worn my S7 every day since I got it a couple of years ago. This morning for some reason I thought I ought to put on my old Seamaster to see if it starts running and keeps time still. I found a NATO strap that is very similar to the Tornado/Gray SL and have worn both all day. (It normally has a black leather strap which is much more suited)

The Omega is from 1956 and after two+ years years sitting untouched on the shelf, it amazingly sprung staright back to life and after ten hours is still keeping the time well when compared with the AW.

I'm fairly hooked on wearing the AW and often it is my only means of communication if out running or at the pub as I try not to take my phone everywhere. But I think I'll go back to wearing the Seamaster occasionally when out for an evening.
aw-seamaster.jpg

chanchowancho

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
I've worn my S7 every day since I got it a couple of years ago. This morning for some reason I thought I ought to put on my old Seamaster to see if it starts running and keeps time still. I found a NATO strap that is very similar to the Tornado/Gray SL and have worn both all day. (It normally has a black leather strap which is much more suited)

The Omega is from 1956 and after two+ years years sitting untouched on the shelf, it amazingly sprung staright back to life and after ten hours is still keeping the time well when compared with the AW.

I'm fairly hooked on wearing the AW and often it is my only means of communication if out running or at the pub as I try not to take my phone everywhere. But I think I'll go back to wearing the Seamaster occasionally when out for an evening.
View attachment 2368612
As a vintage watch fan, that seamster is a thing of beauty!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.