Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Did it lower your temperatures and what revision do you have?
Trying to decide whether to risk my warranty since I would like to see idle temperatures in the 40s instead of mid 50s. Apart from temperatures I really like my air.

pinchu71

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
oops, i did it....

i have re-applied thermal paste with artic silver 5. My macbook air rev c 2,13ghz 128ssd runs at 40ºC in idle mode (no tasks, only dashboard with istat to view the temperature)
in light browsing (no flash) i read 50ºC with fans running at 2500, and in heavy usage (both cores at 100%) temperature reaches 82º
i'm running snow leopard build 10A402a

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
I am very tempted to do this however does this void the warranty?

Most likely, but only if anyone notices ;)

If you don't have to tear up any warranty-void stickers, I doubt anyone who is repairing the computer will notice the change.

If they do, it is an upgrade that Apple don't support users doing by themselves so they will probably void the warranty.

I'd wait until the machine is out of warranty before doing that just to be safe.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Pre-re-application temperatures?

i have re-applied thermal paste with artic silver 5. My macbook air rev c 2,13ghz 128ssd runs at 40ºC in idle mode (no tasks, only dashboard with istat to view the temperature)
in light browsing (no flash) i read 50ºC with fans running at 2500, and in heavy usage (both cores at 100%) temperature reaches 82º
i'm running snow leopard build 10A402a

And what were your temperatures before re-applying the paste? I ask because I thought misapplied thermal paste was only a problem in some rev A MBAs and because your post-application temperatures actually look higher than my rev B's (which hasn't been tinkered with).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.