Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you prefer the stainless steel or aluminium (sport) watch?

• I preferred the stainless steel

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • I preferred the aluminium (sport)

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters

joemcneil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2014
Current owner of a 38mm Stainless Steel S0, and starting to get fed up of battery life/slowness. Really tempted by the battery longevity and processing power of the S3, and interested in going for the Sport over the Stainless Steel, primarily for cost reasons.

My main concern is durability. Obviously the Ion-X glass of the Sport is softer than the sapphire on the SS, but I'm interested to see if this is noticeable (or indeed if it is something you even think about) in every day use.

Have you switched from SS to Aluminium? Which did you prefer? How much more/less durable are you finding the aluminium watch body? Was the reduction in cost worth it?

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
I have S0 42m SS and have just bought a S2 42mm Sport. This was primarily for the GPS and better battery. So far it has exceeded my expectations. I would prefer to have a metal bracelet as in the past plastic bands have caused me to get (I presume) yeast infections on my wrist. So far this hasn't happened with the new watch.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I tried it recently. On day three I noticed the screen was already picking up scratches and I returned it for a SS3.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I tried this.
Have the S0 AW SS bought the AW S3 Nike space grey returned it. Went back to my SS saw how bad the battery really was and ordered another AW S3 Nike SG with sport loop after 2 weeks returned it again.

I just like the look and weight of the SS better. So I’m gonna wait it out for a SS AW S4.

Money was a huge factor - don’t really have the money for another SS right now. I’ll wait for next years and save up.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I had SS S0 and replaced it with the SG S3 Nike aluminum. I took it back a few days later and bought the SS S3. It was too much of a step backwards for me. It was just too hard for me to give up the aesthetics and durability of the SS.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My post is somewhat off topic, however:

I originally Purchased the sport model. I really liked the durability of the of aluminum, but the Ion-X Glass was not nearly scratch resistant as I thought it would be. I scratched it with very little use. I upgraded to the stainless given the steep price point difference and the sapphire display is still perfect on my Watch. I will only purchase the stainless models with the sapphire from this point forward.

LaoBron

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2016
I went from ss to sport back to ss.

I’m in the telecom field so my hands are constantly going in and out of data racks and pc. I would get scratches on the body all the time but I would be able to polish them off on the ss but not on the sport.

Maybe you should get AppleCare on your next one that way you wouldn’t worry about it. And it’ll be a big night and day from 0 to 3. Good luck!

Reactions: iPhonexconvert

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Bought the Stainless version again.. I just couldn't get past how happy I was with the S0 SS and I'm so happy with my S3.

I bought a Nike version in black for SWMBO this Christmas and I think she's happy with that but I hope it doesn't start eroding at the back around the etched letter like I've seen on some of the other threads (Apple count this as Costmetic Damage and won't consider it part of a warranty/AppleCare case).

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I went from a SS series 0 to a SG Nike series 3 and have no regrets. After three months the screen is still flawless. I did get AppleCare this time, so if I do scratch it, I can easily have it replaced. The SS is nice, but for a piece of tech that I want to update often, it’s just not necessary, IMO.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Anyone know from experience that scratches are covered by apple care? Seems to me scratches would be classified normal wear.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have S0 42m SS and have just bought a S2 42mm Sport. This was primarily for the GPS and better battery. So far it has exceeded my expectations. I would prefer to have a metal bracelet as in the past plastic bands

The Sport bands Are Not “Plastic bands”. They’re made of flueroastamer. They’re entirely two different materials, flueroastamer being highly durable and almost indestructible.

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
I went from SS0 42mm to Nike SG3 38mm. After a few years with the SS, I got tired of the heft and size of the 42mm on my small wrist. I am happy with the SG3 38mm, it doesn’t feel obtrusive on my wrist. I’m sticking with 38mm from now on, but I might try the SBS version in the future. I do miss the sleek look of the SS at times.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
My post is somewhat off topic, however:

I originally Purchased the sport model. I really liked the durability of the of aluminum, but the Ion-X Glass was not nearly scratch resistant as I thought it would be. I scratched it with very little use. I upgraded to the stainless given the steep price point difference and the sapphire display is still perfect on my Watch. I will only purchase the stainless models with the sapphire from this point forward.

THIS! My S0 SS has over 1000 days of daily use. It has brushed door nobs, street polls, car doors, and who knows what else. I had a few heat stoping *clangs* where * was sure the screen was through.It never happened. the screen is flawless. I happily paid for the S3 SS because of this.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
THIS! My S0 SS has over 1000 days of daily use. It has brushed door nobs, street polls, car doors, and who knows what else. I had a few heat stoping *clangs* where * was sure the screen was through.It never happened. the screen is flawless. I happily paid for the S3 SS because of this.

This is because sapphire crystals are very hard. In fact sapphire is the 3rd hardest mineral after diamond (10) and moissanite (9.5). What is used on watches is actually synthetic sapphire. They can are extremely scratch resistant but can easily shatter when dropped.

I have stuck with aluminum. I see the Apple Watch as a disposable product and paying for 316L SS, a sapphire crystal and ceramic back or case is a waste imo. The sport version is a good value. You get everything without throwing away money for better materials on something that will be obsolete in a short period of time. Same thing with an Apple SS bracelet. Might as well go with a $20 generic.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagleglen

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I tried it recently. On day three I noticed the screen was already picking up scratches and I returned it for a SS3.

This always surprises me. I have had one of each generation of the aluminum watches and scratches have not been an issue. Scratches on the screen or body.
[doublepost=1518909071][/doublepost]

This is the life of my watches too....my aluminum watches. Mine bangs into everything and gets scraped on everything and they looks awesome. I always glance down worries about what I’ll see and it looks just the same.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
This is because sapphire crystals are very hard. In fact sapphire is the 3rd hardest mineral after diamond (10) and moissanite (9.5). What is used on watches is actually synthetic sapphire. They can are extremely scratch resistant but can easily shatter when dropped.

Well if were just randomly informing people things that were obviously implied, you should know the crystal on the Apple Watch isn't pure sapphire. As pure sapphire has a Mohs rating of ~8 where the SS Apple Watch exhibits signs of scratch at a hardness of ~6-7 Mohs likely due to impurities. That stand it is still much harder than regular glass.

Reactions: 44267547

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I haven't switched, nor do I think I will. However, the whole sapphire based glass is one of the things I love.
[doublepost=1518913809][/doublepost]

Exactly. Although mine doesn't have 1000 days yet, my Apple Watch has also had the same treatment as yours and it also shows no scratches.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I see the Apple Watch as a disposable product and paying for 316L SS, a sapphire crystal and ceramic back or case is a waste imo..

If that’s your mentality, all technology is technically “Is a waste”. Because a Product is superseded by something else the following year by something better. Why not buy what you enjoy and what somebody wants, regardless if its aluminum or stainless. Itd the perception of what the consumer wants from the product, in the case of the Sapphire display, that alone pays for it self in durability.

You get everything without throwing away money for better materials on something that will be obsolete in a short period of time. Same thing with an Apple SS bracelet. Might as well go with a $20 generic.

Again, some want more a premium product. That’s why Apple offered the stainless model, it’s the next step up with the stainless 316 L. Remember, the Apple Watch is also marketed as a fashion device, and I think the stainless model executes that nicely with leather bands, stainless steel link bands, etc.

I don’t see it as “Throwing away money”, if it brings somebody enjoyment and they want something more premium, That goes for anything in this life that you want something that cost more, you pay a premium for it, Even if it is technology that becomes obsolete. That said, as somebody who did owb the aluminum model at one point, I would never purchase the Sport model again, I thought it felt cheap and I was happy to upgrade to the stainless model with Sapphire display. To each their own.

Reactions: bhodinut

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But i have used my original band across several watches now? Theres a good chance it will work on the s4 also.

I highly doubt Apple would change the band port for Series 4. They have so much revenue invested in the band market and it would be a poor business practice at this point. I think Series 4 will be tweaked with the form factor, but likely won’t affect the band port. The band port is executed perfectly.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I highly doubt Apple would change the band port for Series 4. They have so much revenue invested in the band market and it would be a poor business practice at this point. I think Series 4 will be tweaked with the form factor, but likely won’t affect the band port. The band port is executed perfectly.

Not for the Series 4, but they can change it eventually, just like they did for the 30-pin connector.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not for the Series 4, but they can change it eventually, just like they did for the 30-pin connector.

I understand they can change the band port, similarly to how unpredictable they are with the changes they have made over the years as well. But the Apple Watch is still fairly new device and it’s difficult to see what measures they will take for the future. But my point was, there’s a huge market for the bands for Apple being what they charge and what they generate profit from. It just wouldn’t make sense for them to change it quite yet.

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I went from an SS with Link Bracelet S0 to an S3 Space Grey sport. I miss the SS especially with the link Bracelet but it was pretty much worthless when I sold it and I got the sport for a very price. I think ignoring residuals the SS is the better watch. After nearly 3 years it was still in very good condition. I have my doubts about the sport lasting as well cosmetically

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I went from an SS with Link Bracelet S0 to an S3 Space Grey sport. I miss the SS especially with the link Bracelet but it was pretty much worthless when I sold it and I got the sport for a very price. I think ignoring residuals the SS is the better watch. After nearly 3 years it was still in very good condition. I have my doubts about the sport lasting as well cosmetically

I own the regular link bracelet and space gray link bracelet. And you couldn’t even find one when They first launched, that’s how popular they were. Then, third-party link brackets started releasing their version of link bracelets that literally resemble Apples link bracelet, and it hurt the value of the OEM link bracelet for obvious reasons. But you can’t beat the quality of Apples OEM stainless link bracelet.

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I own the regular link bracelet and space gray link bracelet. And you couldn’t even find one when They first launched, that’s how popular they were. Then, third-party link brackets started releasing their version of link bracelets that literally resemble Apples link bracelet, and it hurt the value of the OEM link bracelet for obvious reasons. But you can’t beat the quality of Apples OEM stainless link bracelet.

Yeah it really is a great band and IMO looks incredible. Having the grey sport kinda makes me want to get a Space Black SS with Link Bracelet.

As I said though I paid around £1000 for the S0 I sold it for around £220 and managed to pick up an S3 sport with LTE for £280 (£150 cheaper than new) so seemed like a no brainer rather than spending £650 on a SS S3 with sport band, selling the watch for say £100 and keeping the link Bracelet.

I can only lose £280 this way rather than the near £800 my SS lost in value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.