Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Sherman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Washington State
I ordered my MacBook Pro i9 first week in August and now there is an upgrade to the internal graphic card. I purchased this iteration so that I could use an ultra wide 5 k external monitor with photoshop etc. and watch HD movies. so the extra oomph in graphics would be welcome. I have seen a lot of anger from others in my situation. I am wondering if anyone has or plans to call Apple to see if they will offer an exemption to the 14 day exchange / return policy. If so what was the response. My hope is that if there is enough people contacting Apple they will allow a formal exchange program for this to happen. If you look at the amount of people who purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro i9 maxed out who want to pay even more to upgrade, it is a tiny percentage of customers so it should not hurt them and might actually help them with pr in an age of lots of bad pr.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Apple has been known to provide exemptions to the 14-day policy, extending it to 30 days. Outside of that period, particularly going back to August, I would say you are out of luck.

One guy said he tried through both Apple sales and the local store and both informed him that outside of 30 days, nothing could be done. He had had his for just over 60.

darkmaxdevil

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I'm in the same exact situation, but I'll just buy the BlackMagic eGPU Pro that will be released the same time. Too lazy to go through all those hoops, too time consuming with minimal gain at least with my perspective anyway. I'll just enjoy whatever I have now.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I know, but if you also use a LG 5K, there is no other choice though.

It’s a nice unit, looks awesome. But when it first came out it was a very midrange non-upgradable eGPU at a $700 price tag. Then months later they turn around and announce a Radeon RX Vega 56 model. This is kind of what I was expecting with these. Upgrades with no upgrade path other than to sell your old one.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I ordered my MacBook Pro i9 first week in August and now there is an upgrade to the internal graphic card. I purchased this iteration so that I could use an ultra wide 5 k external monitor with photoshop etc. and watch HD movies. so the extra oomph in graphics would be welcome. I have seen a lot of anger from others in my situation. I am wondering if anyone has or plans to call Apple to see if they will offer an exemption to the 14 day exchange / return policy. If so what was the response. My hope is that if there is enough people contacting Apple they will allow a formal exchange program for this to happen. If you look at the amount of people who purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro i9 maxed out who want to pay even more to upgrade, it is a tiny percentage of customers so it should not hurt them and might actually help them with pr in an age of lots of bad pr.

Just my 2 cents, but I believe that Apple doesn't care about whining customers. They look at bad PR as free advertising. Now if you hit'em with a class action suit (that will cost them $$$), you will get their attention. In this case, (not being rude/disrespectful), I can't see where Apple owes you anything. You bought their product. New models/upgrades are always on the horizon. Perhaps you will have good luck with Apple giving you a brand new computer in exchange for a used one.

I was going to order a fully loaded i9 model for $6700 but Apple wouldn't give me a dollar for my 2016 maxed out laptop, so I am content and happy with it. It functions just like a new one in every way. I learn to be happy with what I have.

ksg604

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Apple has been known to provide exemptions to the 14-day policy, extending it to 30 days. Outside of that period, particularly going back to August, I would say you are out of luck.

One guy said he tried through both Apple sales and the local store and both informed him that outside of 30 days, nothing could be done. He had had his for just over 60.

I'm that guy. It's really a hit and miss situation with getting that return. I've read up on people being granted a return exception of up to 90 days when they spoke to Apple about the issue, be it through a sales rep manager in their local Apple store or over the phone with Apple support.

Personally I tried both cases and unfortunately I wasn't able to return my i9 MBP. The reps I spoke to told me that they couldn't do anything because it was beyond their control to grant an exception past 30 days (which is already an exception to the standard 14 days).

I think at this point, most of the people who invested and spent >$4000 on their MBP are SOL, unless, Apple formally recognizes the situation and grants an exception to everyone who heavily upgraded their MBPs from July-October. That, or Apple gets a class action lawsuit.

Reactions: SDColorado

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I’ve tried asking as well, but long story short the answer is that they can’t start making exceptions for everyone. They might be generous if you’re just outside the return window, but certainly not after 2-3 months.

It’s possible to trade it in as a used machine, but you’ll take a hit in terms of money that will far exceed the value of the new graphics card.

Computers get upgraded regularly and the next best thing is always around the corner. It sucks when you have just bought one and soon after it’s not the latest and greatest anymore, but that’s how technology works. You buy when the current offer meets your needs and then try to be content with your purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.