Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
I've got a cable modem going into a 5 port 10 Base-T Xsense hub. Connected to the hub is a G4 desktop and a G3 powerbook. Currently, I can not get the two computers to share this connection. My G4 accesses the internet just fine, while the powerbook sits with no connection....and vice versa. Only one mac at a time can access the internet (after a restart). Is this because of the hub not being a 10/100 base-T? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
10B-T WAY TOO SLOW.

I have found that less than a 100B-T hub is less than reliable for broadband. I think the problem is more likely to stem from the lack of a DHCP router though. If you don't have some form of a router the connection will only be accessable by one or the other cuz they're both using the same IP address.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Go to your local computer store (even CompUSA and Best Buy have these) and get a Netgear DSL/Cable modem router. They make them in single and 4 port configurations (the number of ports the built in ethernet switch has) if not more. It should run you under $150 or so (haven't cheacked in a while). Once you configure that to give out IP addresses (acting as a DHCP server) you will be able to connect as many systems as you desire. The only drawback will be that you are SHARING bandwidth. That would equate to lower speed as you stack more systems online that way.

Happy surfin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.