Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lomaxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
Hello Community,

i switched for about 3 weeks from my 14" MBP M1 Max to a 14" MBP M3 Max. Everything good so far

But since i booted the M3 Max for the first time i am getting several times a day massiv interruptions on WiFi. Out of nowhere i cant load a single website and speedtests are around 1-5 kb/s then. I am on a Gigabit connection with max 1000 MBit/s down- and 50 MBit/s upload. When the system is running without interruptions i am getting very good down-/upload speed like shown in the screenshot

CleanShot 2024-04-08 at 08.36.27.png

I cant reproduce this behavior, but it happens several times a day. Sometimes several times per hour, sometimes 2 times a day. All my devices have static IP, so no DHCP at any device. I am using this config since years without any trouble.

Here is my setup
Basement: FritzBox 7590
1st floor: Fritz Repeater 3000 (which is connected via Ethernet cable to the 7590 in the basement)
MBP M3 Max is located on the 1st floor, around 4 meters far from the Fritz Repeater 3000 (connected through WiFi)
2nd Floor: Mac Studio M1 Max (no issues or interruptions on my Mac Studio - never)
Lots of apple devices like 2 iphones, 2 ipad Pros and other apple devices inside the house. No interruption on any of these devices)

The only way to fix it is to turn off the WiFi in the menubar for some seconds and turn it back on. Then everything is working again

Contacted Apple Support via Chat and told them my exact setup. They asked me if i am using a VPN and i explained them, that i am programming onlineshops and from time to time i have to use a VPN to check shipping costs to other countrys, so i have to change my location. That VPN is only a browser extension (in fact it is NordVPN) and nothing entered in the system settings. So i turn the VPN on for some mins to checkout if everything works correct and after that i immediately turn it off. From this point the support was always mention that it could be the VPN and they cant help me without re-installing a fresh macOS to see if it happening again.

I closed the chat after 15 mins because it was only a back and forth and they didnt accept the fact that i have exact the same setup on my Mac Studio and no problems there at all.

Anyway... i've read this problem many times when i searched via google, especially with the M3 chip. Apples Community Forum has dozend of topics with the same behavior and there is not a single solution in.

Does anyone know whats the problem or someone has maybe the same problem? I could life with it, but on the other side i payed more than 4000 bucks for this machine and i am sick of the fact that i own a lot of apple products and bought also a lot in the last 12 years. Most of the time i have to get an appointment on the genius bar like with my last iphone, my wife ipad pro etc. I am absolutely OK with the fact that i pay more money on a notebook like buying a windows one and get high quality and well designed and chosen hardware elements. But whats the point paying x amount of money and need to send it in or need to contact the support for every single device? I don't get it.

If someone has the same behavior and knows a workaround to fix this permantly, i would really appreciate any help

thank you

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
You may have already tried the basics?

1. log in with another user account.

2. safe mode.

3. run Wireless Diagnostics

Sorry if they're obvious but needed to ask.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022

I heard some Roumors of Vodafone DNS Problems being solved if you use a different DNS entered in the FritzBox and also update your System Router Firmware.
(some Provider Router Firmware does not allow to change DNS, then you can try edit your MBP WLAN DNS)

Your Ping is slow.
I have on the MBA with WLAN 3-5ms and 21-23ms with activated VPN.

I would also suggest that answers form a German Forum could lead to more exact Tips, because you seem to have DS-Lite and this is only existant in Germany and Japan.

An absolut PIA Protokoll.

• Cloudflare: IPv4: 1.1.1.1, IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111

It could also be some intefrence in the WLAN Band so you can allways lookup the Quality with holding option key and clicking the WLAN Icon:

1712563331203.png

Last edited:

Lomaxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
I should have mention that

I am using google publich DNS 8.8.8.8
Firmware is on all devices up2date. Ping is absolute usually for germany. We have one of the badest internet in the world, so we have to deal with it 😂
I am on cable internet, so no dsl lite.

I ran multiple wireless diagnostics exactly when i have these interuptions on wifi. the problem is, macOS doesnt tell me anything. When i use the diagnostic output protocol the file is around 350 mb (i think everyone knows that you cant read anything as a "normal user" out of the protocol)

i should have mention this too, that i am using completely different SSIDs for all my networks. so i am running the 2 GHz only on the 7590, because i need this for some of my smart home devices like light switches. for the repeater 3000 i am having a 5 GHz-I and a 5 GHz-II. The II is way more faster than the I and i am connecting only to this one with my MBP M3

What i dont understand is the fact, that the studio doesnt have any issues, with the exact same settings. macOS is up2date on all devices, firmware is everywhere up2date too.

this must have something to do with the m3 mbp because i read this behavior on many other sites like
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255358715?sortBy=best (<-- this user is having nearly the same problem like me)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255476883?sortBy=best (ive posted my issue there too)

I am out of ideas

Lomaxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
As mentioned from @genexx i read through the topic and so i decided to give AVM a call. I was explaining my setup and the support interupted me while i was talking and he told me that i dont need to explain further, because he will send me the solution, because the problem is well known.

I have the explanation only in german, so i will run it through the google translator to let you guys know

You describe that the WLAN connection to the FRITZ!Box or a mesh repeater is permanently interrupted on your Apple devices (e.g. iPhone, Macbook or iPad).

We are aware of this issue related to a bug in Apple's iCloud Passwords & iCloud Keychain service. Until a solution is available from Apple, you can fix the problem by doing the following:

Open iCloud Settings and go to the "iCloud Passwords & iCloud Keychain" section.
Disable synchronization on your Apple device.

I am confused right now, because i cant believe this should work. I would try this for sure, but i need the sync with my other devices. Do you guys think this could resolve the problem?

Reactions: genexx

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Ping is absolute usually for germany. We have one of the badest internet in the world, so we have to deal with it 😂
For what you get in DE, in increments of €5 upselling, it's shocking really. I've only got a 100 Mbps V-DSL line but luckily a ping of circa 9ms, but do attribute this to the mere fact that my master mesh node to be in line of sight. Luckily it's at least rock solid with consistency 105/42 Mbps all the time (except when the ridiculous Linksys routers drop).

Edit: having said that, my upload has once again halved. So, another restart of the FritzBox

Lomaxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
Ping is not THAT important for me, because i do not playing games. So when everything is working fine, i am absolutely ok with vodafone. had lots of issues in the past, but thats several years ago and since then i cannot say a bad word. as said... ping is not primary focus

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
My 2 Daughters would grill me or try to advance it if ping would be that bad.
But you have to check LAN Ping vs WLAN Ping to see where it lags.
My ASUS WLAN Mesh is also with ETH Backbone and very fast.

But changing in Germany to DNS 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare does allmost allways advance your Ping.

Not only for Gaming but i have also a Proxmox with several VM´s and they have some Private BBB/Minecraft/Chat Server on the Proxmox up and running.

I am with netcologne FTTH and have changed to Dual Stack without the Lite so i have an ip v4.
250/50Mbit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.