Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parikshit Panwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2021
I know that Macs use a lot of ram even when they aren't doing anything to be efficient but I've noticed that lately the memory consumption on my m1 air base variant has been around 6.4 gb along with high memory pressure(orange colour) from last couple of days even when I've just opened like 4-5 YouTube tabs on safari playing 1080p videos. I compared my mac's memory consumption with the memory consumption of various m1 Macs on YouTube and I think mine is quite high. It also many times shows that ''this webpage is using significant memory'' on safari. Is this is a bug in 12.3.1 or my Mac has a problem?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
…even when I've just opened like 4-5 YouTube tabs on safari playing 1080p videos.

Five HD vídeos streaming concurrently is a heavy load for a base machine.

Ill consider myself lucky that in my old age I am only able to watch one video at a time.

Reactions: chabig

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I would argue that Safari management is not good these days when it comes to video. Twitch has huge memory leak issues I’ve been talking about ever since Monterey. Safari just doesn’t seem to play nice with a lot of video codecs it seems.

If you’re not opposed to it use a different browser for media consumption. As much as people dump on Chrome it’s much better with energy and resources running the Arm version. Chrome sucked on Intel Macs but the Arm version is solid and much faster than Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.