Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macotron5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I bought it new and it has been absolutely fantastic these last 7 years and still going strong.

However, ever since getting a new router my computer has been having trouble connecting to the WiFi. It will connect perfectly fine and very quickly for 3 or 4 days then start to take a long while to connect, then stop connecting all together, often asking for the password again and telling me the password is incorrect. As soon as I restart the router the computer will start connecting to it just fine for the next 3 or 4 days.

I have tried reinstalling the operating system, but that made no difference.

All other devices connect to the router with no problems including my wife's 2013 MacBook Air.

My mac hasn't had any problems connecting to any other router it's come across.

I contacted my internet service provider and they seemed adamant the problem was with my computer.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Are there things I can do to help debug the problem?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I had something similar. Are you trying to connect to a 5GHz network? In my case, the router was picking a channel that the laptop refused to connect to, because someone nearby had a router from China that was broadcasting "Country Code: CN". As my router doesn't broadcast a country code, this somehow told my Macbook to discount certain channels when trying to connect to a wifi network.

They've moved out now, so the problem has gone, but in the meantime I set my router to a fixed channel. I picked 40. That's valid in China. Such a random problem, admittedly, but the symptoms match yours and it'll save you days of research!

https://www.howtogeek.com/211993/how-to-fix-conflicting-country-codes-and-improve-your-macs-wi-fi/

Macotron5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I had something similar. Are you trying to connect to a 5GHz network? In my case, the router was picking a channel that the laptop refused to connect to, because someone nearby had a router from China that was broadcasting "Country Code: CN". As my router doesn't broadcast a country code, this somehow told my Macbook to discount certain channels when trying to connect to a wifi network.

They've moved out now, so the problem has gone, but in the meantime I set my router to a fixed channel. I picked 40. That's valid in China. Such a random problem, admittedly, but the symptoms match yours and it'll save you days of research!

https://www.howtogeek.com/211993/how-to-fix-conflicting-country-codes-and-improve-your-macs-wi-fi/

Thank you for the advice.
I checked with the Wireless Diagnostics and it didn't say there were any conflicting country codes.
I'll run the diagnostics again in a few days when the connection starts to fail.
It does say "LAN connectivity failure" which is odd as it seems to be connecting just fine.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Is your router a standalone device, or is it an "internet gateway"?
(i.e., a "combined" modem/router)

Regardless of what the IP says, it might be something within the router settings.
Do you have a way to check them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.