Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
Alright, I bought this thing a few days ago for my iBook (G3) and I had it connected and working with my network really well for the first night. I put my laptop to sleep and then the next day it won't let me get on the internet. I can connect to a few different wireless networks, but non of them will let me get on the internet. I can connect to the networks perfectly fine with my regular airport card, and get on the internet then, but it won't let me when i'm using the usb wifi reciever. I've tried resetting my PRAM, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times, I've tried setting it up under a different location, and I've tried messing with the different settings. All of which did nothing. Could anyone help me out here? I don't understand how this thing was working perfectly fine and then decides to quit on me the next day. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
The only other thing I can suggest, that you haven't tried, is resetting the device. I know some things you cannot reset, so there is a chance it's simply defective and you need to exchange it for another one.

Also, I would try it on another computer. That would help determine if it's your iBook or the device.

You can also try it under another user account on your iBook if you don't have another computer to test it on.

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
The device doesn't really have a reset button, it's just plug and play. I've unplugged and replugged it a few times. No luck.

The device is Mac only, and I only have one mac.. so I can't try it on another computer

Tried using it under a new username.. nothing.

I guess it is broken or something. I don't get how it can show me a signal and everything but not connect to something as specific as the internet.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
The device doesn't really have a reset button, it's just plug and play. I've unplugged and replugged it a few times. No luck.

The device is Mac only, and I only have one mac.. so I can't try it on another computer

Tried using it under a new username.. nothing.

I guess it is broken or something. I don't get how it can show me a signal and everything but not connect to something as specific as the internet.

Did you try a different port on the machine? Or try to plug something else into that port just to see if it works. Assuming you are using the USB ports. Is there any lights on the device?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Hawking Hi-Gain WiFi Locator Won't Work?!?

I'm I reading this right. It's just a locator not a wirless adaptor RIGHT

Is it this

Attachments

• 201643806.jpg
    201643806.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 295

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
I've tried plugging it into both of the usb ports that I have, they both gave me the same results. The divice has lights on it, and the lights always show up and let me know the signal strength of the network I'm connected to... But I still can't get on the internet.

This is a wifi locator, but that's only when it's not plugged into the computer. It acts as a wifi reciever when it is plugged in via USB. That's the right picture, but this device acts as both a reciever and a locator.

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
I really don't think this thing could have broken over night... No more ideas? Anyone? I'm down for trying anything except for a complete system restore.. I just want wifi back..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.