Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ins0mniak82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
buffalo, ny
my friend has an ibook and when he starts up the comp, the infamous flashing question mark comes up. he also gets an error msg saying something about his startup disk memory is running low.

from wut i've researched, it seems his hd is failing. i feel obligated to help him cuz i bought him the ibook thru ebay.

can someone tell me whats wrong??
if it is a hd problem and i hafta install a new one,
anyone know where i can get it installed cheaper than going to the apple store or a comp tech shop??
i know its a very delicate process and i dont wanna take my chances with it myself.

if theres anybody out there from buffalo, ny that is handy with macs, please let me know asap!!

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Hi from Rochester!
Before you do brain surgery on your iBook, have you tried an erase and install of the volume to see if it's maybe a directory issue? Try to erase the volume and reinstall the operating system from the Mac OS X CD and then see if the problem persists.

BTW: Was there a warranty or return period for the eBay auction? Or did you buy AS IS?

Good Luck!

ins0mniak82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
buffalo, ny
i have tried to do a reformat. it originally contained tiger but there was a different problem with a black screen, something related to "darwin" and a log in. So i reformatted with a panther cd and it was working fine for a couple of weeks and then this problem appeared.

and i believe there is no warranty.

Masizzle

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I don't know why it matters if the 'troubleshooter' is in close proximity to you.. but I live in Albany..

*highfive*

So we have a black governer now.. thats cool.

edit- ok you wanna see if there is someplace to install it for you.. probably not.. just do it yourself it's not that hard really.

ins0mniak82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
buffalo, ny
i know there are diy sites that tell you step by step how to replace the hd on an ibook. but i'm not too great with fixing hardware on a comp, especially a laptop, and this is not my ibook so i dont wanna take any chances.

so basically, i'm looking for a "troubleshooter" in close proximity to see if theres anyone out there, close enough to meet and replace the hd for me for a cheaper price than having to go to a tech shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.