Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCBenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
I have a Late 2013 27 inch iMac that was having software (Turbotax) incompatibility problems a year ago prompting me to upgrade the OS to Big Sur (11.7) using "Patched Sur". I've again got the same software problem with Turbotax and additionally Office 2021 with MS saying they will not run or support upgrades beyond three OS versions (back to Monterey). I'm planning to upgrade to Ventura using "OpenCore Legacy Patcher" to solve these problems, but am concerned about it working with my previous upgrade to Big Sur using "Patched Sur" (now resident in my applications folder), and the configuration/partitioning (??) of my hard drive that resulted from that upgrade.

I've got a 3.12 TB internal APFS Fusion Drive that has 2.16 TB (6.79 GB purgeable?) available. However, it has a configuration that I'm not sure how it happened or what to do about it (see graphics below) before I attempt the OpenCore Legacy Patcher upgrade to Ventura.

Storage.png

Fusion Drive.png

Container disc2.png

It’s "shared by 7 volumes" which somehow occurred when I upgraded to Big Sur twice (reverted to Catalina troubleshooting a problem, then did it again). The two "Macintosh HD"s appear on my desktop along with "Macintosh HD - Data-1", and because they've not caused a problem, I've just left them alone . . . . until now. One of the Macintosh HDs apparently contains all of my files under my user name, while the other one contains only duplicate MS OS general folders/files, but no "users". The Macintosh HD - Data-1 doesn't appear to contain anything (all of my files are in Macintosh HD – Data). Although the "Container disc2" appears to contain all of the others, I'm not sure where it and the "com.apple.os.update-0..." reside. Also, as mentioned, the applications folder in the "Macintosh HD" with all of my files contains the "Patched Sur" file/folder (uninstall it??). Can anyone help with this mess?

Lastly, I’ve been told to partition the HD (after a HD clean-up, de-partitioning?), leaving the Big Sur OS in one partition, and upgrade to Ventura in the other. I assume the intent is to be able to run either Big Sur or a later OS (Ventura). I don't think I really need to do that, as I don't know of any applications that I would lose going to a later OS (???). Again, thanks for any help!

JCBenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
OK, using "Disc Utility" I selected "Delete APFS Volume" for my extra "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data-1" volumes with nothing affected on my machine. The Fusion Drive now shows "shared by 5 volumes", all of which have a function. From here do I proceed with the upgrade to Ventura OS using "OpenCore Legacy Patcher", or do I need to partition my HD first and/or delete the "Patched Sur" files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.