Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Hey everyone!

I recently finished (finally...) editing a 23 minute movie I did with some friends over the past few years. About half of it was shot in HD and so the final render is 1080p, too.

In addition to publishing it on youtube, I would very much like to produce a disc of said movie, since I have some friends and relatives without a proper internet connection (yes, that still exists). The problem is: I don't have (and don't want to buy) a drive that burns BluRay discs.

So, my question is: Is it possible to author a BluRay, then burn it on a DVD and be able to play it on usual BluRay players? Or is there any other way I can achieve this?

Thanks for any advice or comment.

Last edited:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I use Apple Compressor to create a BluRay ISO of my movies and then burn that ISO to DVD. A 23min video should probably fit on a single layer DVD.

All recent BluRay players should be able to play it.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Toast allows you to burn HD quality video on DVD but at a bare min.
The quality is also lowered due to the read/write speed of DVD compared to BD.

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Toast allows you to burn HD quality video on DVD but at a bare min.
The quality is also lowered due to the read/write speed of DVD compared to BD.

Thanks a lot to both of you! This has got to be the fastest answered question on this forum! :)

I have both Compressor and Toast and will see what I can do and which will give me the better quality. Everything is better than downsampling to DVD and then burning a more than half empty 20-minute-DVD...

I'll let the forum know how it went.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Sorry to thread jack but I've got a question. I have compressor 4 (but not Toast, YET..) Is their a way to create AVCHD without transcoding every single time? Also can I throw in audio outside PCM and AC3? I have some MLP (TrueHD) and DTS-HD files I want to throw on with of course a compatible AC3 track for players that can't decode HD audio codecs...I even have .m2ts files with everything I want packed in and in the proper AVCHD folder structure...I just can't figure out how to burn that to a DVD (to use as an AVCHD disc)!

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi floh,

You're still on FCP7 if I remember correctly?

No, I never had the money to afford FCS... :( I only have FCE and FCPX, but I get along with those two.

I have to admit that I haven't tried Compressor or Toast yet for lack of free time... But this link also basically seems to use Compressor, right? So I can learn from that anyways, thanks!

As for the thread hijacker: I can't help you yet, haven't tried it. I just recently bought Toast, since I was thinking about it anyways and then a "Spring Bundle" showed up for $49 that included the normally twice as expensive Toast Titanium 11 and some usable programs in addition. :) I just checked, but the offer sadly has ended...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.