Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
One of the 80 GB internal drives in my PowerMac Dual G4 500 Mhz (Gigabit Ethernet) died and I am looking for a replacement. I have always owned all-in-one Macs and so I am confused by the terminology. Can anyone give my a recommendation for a drive they like that will work in my machine? If the price is right, I may replace both internal drives just to be safe (I'd rather increase my internal storage than take a step backwards). Thanks in advance for your help, which will be greatly appreciated!

iPhil

macrumors 68040
One of the 80 GB internal drives in my PowerMac Dual G4 500 Mhz (Gigabit Ethernet) died and I am looking for a replacement. I have always owned all-in-one Macs and so I am confused by the terminology. Can anyone give my a recommendation for a drive they like that will work in my machine? If the price is right, I may replace both internal drives just to be safe (I'd rather increase my internal storage than take a step backwards). Thanks in advance for your help, which will be greatly appreciated!

I own a machine from Gigabit line.. it was a dual 450Mhz when i bought it but lil bit later i upgraded the processors to Dual 1Ghz and install a sata card for the drives .. maybe next weekend i'll finally getting around to pulling the ol'd IDE drive out of the system ..

go with Sata drive route its quicker on install/transfer .. Just be sure you get a Mac compatable Sata card

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
go with Sata drive route its quicker on install/transfer .. Just be sure you get a Mac compatable Sata card

I ended up getting the Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI card to replace the blown ATA connection (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=294621&Redir=1). So does this change your recommendation? I'm really confused as to what specifically I need, so please either send links to your recommendation or let me know what specs I should look for/what specs I should avoid so I can buy without any foul-ups on my end (for example, would this drive work?).
Thanks in advance for your help!

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I ended up getting the Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI card to replace the blown ATA connection (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=294621&Redir=1). So does this change your recommendation? I'm really confused as to what specifically I need, so please either send links to your recommendation or let me know what specs I should look for/what specs I should avoid so I can buy without any foul-ups on my end (for example, would this drive work?).
Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes on both.. Card/hdd.. if the card is SATA 150 then it'll auto clockdown to 1.5GB transfer than the 3.0 GB rated on the HDD..

The Major brand on HDDs i recommend is Seagate 'cuz their uber - quiet and 3yr or 5yr warranty on them

sorry for the late response been busy wit' life outside of these Tubes™ that are the internet™

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.