Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Since I updated to 10.10, my free space keeps dwindling slowly after I boot up, until it eventually goes down to 0. Is this happening to anyone else?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Mine is still looking ok. I'll check back in a few days to a week and see if anything has drastically dropped.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.44.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.44.58 PM.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 157

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I think if you had the issues it would have seen them by now. Must be just me.

I can't even reinstall OS X. The installer beach balls.

Edit: It's just completely unusable now. Wonder what is going wrong. I have 0 free space and the only way to get more is to move things off my hard drive, then that free space quickly dwindles. There doesn't seem to be any abnormally big or out of place files I could find with DiskInventoryX, EXCEPT for a file I found called lost+found, which was 5GB. AND I can't reinstall. What to do... anyone?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
sounds like a memory leak and the swap eventually use up your whole HDD. Reboot the computer may able to free up the space again.

May be try to boot in safe mode and see if the problem still there. If yes, you need to reinstall the OS (better to perform a clean install).

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
At first I thought it was time machine so I did
sudo tmutil disablelocal

But that didn't fix it. Then googling showed it could be a swap leak, but as I said, DIX didn't show any of those, and it does show swap files (It currently shows one as I write this)

And then I tried booting into safe mode, single user mode, yet it didn't work. It got stuck halfway.

Then I did a verbose boot and I got
AppleUSBMultiTouchDriver - device was reinitialized (something alone that line)

And I said **** it, deleted some steam games using terminal from a 10.9 recovery USB I had and installed 10.9 over 10.10. Now I seem to be staying around 15GB free, but I should have around 30GB more that I can't find specifically.

I suspect the culprit in all this was the Razer Synapse 2.0 driver for my gaming mouse. I belived it to the be the issue when I first updated to the 10.9 beta when that came out, and eventually got it fixed without wiping. I'm still not sure though why that would have been filling up my HDD either. So I suppose I either have to uninstall it, or stay on 10.9. I'm going to try uninstalling it soon then reupdating. We'll see how that goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.