Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Heyo.

I have a HDD I've had successfully connected directly to a TP-Link router and used via SMB for over a year. I wanted to do some organization so I hooked it up directly to my Mac Mini. I'm getting the diskenter error 49244 fail to mount error. This HDD is formatted MacOS Extended Journal. It was formatted on this Mac Mini (years ago). It's been a long time since I plugged it directly into anything other than the router. I can't figure out why it wont mount on the Mac, yet still works as a SMB drive when connected to the router.

Have tried Disk Utilities for mount and repair (and terminal version of that). No luck.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Does your drive have its own power supply or is it bus powered over the USB connection? What version of macOS?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Attach the drive to your Mac via USB and open Disk Utility. Make sure to select View > Show All Devices. Select the top level device in the tree representing your USB disk. In the table on the right, what is the "Partition Map"?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
what file system does the drive use? please ignore, too early, need coffee. 🙃

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.