Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jingo_man

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
I have moved my LG UltraFine 32UN880-B monitor, where it is now close to my Kitchen Apple TV.

This monitor has 2x HDMI ports, though neither are labelled as HDMI ARC or eARC.

The Apple TV 4K itself only has 1 HDMI port.
And my JBL 2.0 All In One Soundbar also has 1 HDMI port, which is labelled as HDMI ARC.

Will the LG monitor perform the pass-through HDMI audio if it was setup in the middle of this config?

Apple TV < ------- > LG Monitor HDMI1 LG Monitor HDMI2 < ------- > JBL 2.0 Soundbar

A "normal" TV would, but there is always a specifically labelled "HDMI ARC" port on these devices...

I would need to buy additional cables and stuff, so asking here before making any investments!

Thanks

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You need to dig into the monitor's instructions and see if it has ARC on either port even if they are unlabeled. Else, you might be able to AppleTV to LG then perhaps optical out or maybe USB to soundbar. Or you need another piece of hardware to effectively split audio from video sending the former to the soundbar and the latter to the TV. There are dedicated devices for this or a Receiver can do it.

Update: I downloaded the manual and did a search for ARC. Nothing. It appears there is also no optical out. So you probably need to buy another piece of hardware (an HDMI splitter or a Receiver) unless you can use USB from monitor to the soundbar...

AppleTV to:
  • HDMI splitter to 2 HDMI ports out (one for video to monitor, one for audio to soundbar) OR
  • HDMI splitter to 1 HDMI out and 1 optical out (HDMI out to monitor, optical to soundbar)
Or perhaps reallocate that soundbar to some other purpose and get you a new one with HDMI in and out. Then you could AppleTV to new soundbar HDMI IN... new soundbar HDMI OUT to Monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: jingo_man

jingo_man

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
You need to dig into the monitor's instructions and see if it has ARC on either port even if they are unlabeled. Else, you might be able to AppleTV to LG then perhaps optical out or maybe USB to soundbar. Or you need another piece of hardware to effectively split audio from video sending the former to the soundbar and the latter to the TV. There are dedicated devices for this or a Receiver can do it.

Update: I downloaded the manual and did a search for ARC. Nothing. It appears there is also no optical out. So you probably need to buy another piece of hardware (an HDMI splitter or a Receiver) unless you can use USB from monitor to the soundbar...

AppleTV to:
  • HDMI splitter to 2 HDMI ports out (one for video to monitor, one for audio to soundbar) OR
  • HDMI splitter to 1 HDMI out and 1 optical out (HDMI out to monitor, optical to soundbar)
Or perhaps reallocate that soundbar to some other purpose and get you a new one with HDMI in and out. Then you could AppleTV to new soundbar HDMI IN... new soundbar HDMI OUT to Monitor.
Thanks for the efforts & research.

I knew this limitation was worth enquiring about before spending!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

AppleTV to:
Just to note that the latest couple AppleTV SW updates seems to have broken most if not all audio extractors and most splitters. I just went through something similar last month. It broke both of mine, not that I'm bitter. Compatibility seems to be a crap shoot now days.

A modern receiver should have no issues, but it is not going to have optical out. Some have preamp outs that you can feed your soundbar. A few have dual HDMI outputs. A pass through soundbar may work, dunno off hand of the availability of that feature.

== its possible you may be able to set the AppleTV to stream bluetooth to the soundbar while it sends video to the display.

Last edited:

jingo_man

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
This is for my kitchen TV, so not interested in an expensive or bulky Home Theatre AV solution, such as receivers.

I think I will need to replace the small soundbar with one that has 2x HDMI ports, one being labelled as ARC, which I can place in the middle of the Apple TV device and monitor.

Or the HomePod, as this connects wirelessly... This is also expensive, but I also have long-term concerns. The 1st model had many reported issues after a couple years and little ability to repair. I do not use Siri or any smart assistant - I have no interest. And the built-in obsolescence with any smart speaker...

My view of best future-protection is to remain inside the HDMI world...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.