Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamuelBrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
So the Apple TV 4th gen has HDMI-CEC (if you don't know what this is, it basically means you can control the TV via a HDMI-CEC enabled device i.e. switch it on and off, turn the volume up and down from the Apple Tv remote - etc etc)

So my question is: Why does the TV not switch itself on when you Airplay over to the sleeping Apple TV?

I look after all of the hardware in an office, we have over 100 macs and have put 10 brand new apple TVs in all the meeting rooms. I've just updated all the TVs to be HDMI-CEC compliant (they are LG TVs so SimpLink is what they call it).

Obviously it would be awesome for someone to just walk into a meeting room, airplay over to the room name and boom, tv switches on and they can see exactly what they are after.

Does anyone have this working on any brand of TV?! (I guess I'm trying to work out if this is an LG thing or an Apple TV thing!)

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
That's strange...both of my tv's hooked up to my Apple TV 4s work in the way you want yours to work. Just tonight I selected one of the tvs from the Airplay Mirroring menu on my iPhone, and even though the tv was off and switched to a different HDMI input, once I selected that TV in the Airplay menu, the TV turned on and switched itself to the Apple TV. I'm using two Sony Bravias though so that's probably where the difference lies. Sorry I can't be more help, but I can confirm that it does work at least in my configuration.

SamuelBrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Hey - This is a great help! At least I can try a Sony TV now. Many thanks!

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Glad I was able to help even a bit! Yeah, I was as surprised as anyone that my Bravias worked so smoothly with CEC - like anything else, I was fully expecting having to fiddle around with it a lot before it'd work. They were both bought probably around 2010 and 2011 too, making it even more of a nice surprise that they worked so well. Oh, I do have one connected to a Sony receiver and surround sound system - can't remember off the top of my head which one but can check if that makes a difference.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
My Sony works fine whereas our LG is also useless. Both are very recent models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.