Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hannibill43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
I have been streaming Netflix downloads from my iPhone to my tv successfully through a lightning adapter and an HDMI cable (male-male). After updating to OS 11, I no longer get a picture. Just updated. I notice that when I swipe up that the control button for mirroring seems to be looking for apple tv. Sound is coming from TV and picture shows on iPhone.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
Sounds like it may be either a bug or possibly a copyright issue feature new in ios11. Or maybe a new Netflix policy.

hannibill43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
I have been streaming Netflix downloads from my iPhone to my tv successfully through a lightning adapter and an HDMI cable (male-male). After updating to OS 11, I no longer get a picture. Just updated. I notice that when I swipe up that the control button for mirroring seems to be looking for apple tv. Sound is coming from TV and picture shows on iPhone.
[doublepost=1507209570][/doublepost]Everything works when I download “live,” but movies or shows that are in my downloads folder do not play the video. Bad for when you are in an area with no data or WiFi.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Yes, Apple is well known to block 3rd party wires from working with each ios update.
Not sure if they sell an official Apple MFI lightning toHDMI wire?

Are you referring to the hdmi wire or the lighting to hdmi adaptor? The adaptor is the official one from Apple. I don’t know why they would stop support for hdmi cables

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Would a Chromecast be a possibility if the OP needs to replace his cable?

The OP should not have to resort to other measures to get Watch Netflix from his iPhone to his tv. That adaptor Apple sells, says nothing about having to use an Apple HDMI cable with it. There should not be an issue.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The OP should not have to resort to other measures to get Watch Netflix from his iPhone to his tv. That adaptor Apple sells, says nothing about having to use an Apple HDMI cable with it. There should not be an issue.

It's definitely an Apple adaptor? I didn't see the OP confirm.

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
Anyone find a resolution to this? I am having the same issue using an official Apple lightning to HDMI adapter. Can watch Apple movies, ESPN, HBOGO but can not get Netflix to show on TV screen. Sound only, no video. Also, using the latest up to date HDMI cord.

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana

I use an Apple lightning/HDMI adapter and Mediabridge HDMI cable. I turn on tv, launch Netflix on iPhone, select HDMI input on tv, and watch Netflix on my tv thru the iPhone. If the tv doesn’t show Netflix, I close the tv app, back out to tv blank screen, close Netflixon iPhone, and try again. Sometimes the startup procedure has to be restarted to get the signal.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Streaming video still works fine for me, anything that I’ve downloaded “offline” no longer shows video... but sound.

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
Streaming video still works fine for me, anything that I’ve downloaded “offline” no longer shows video... but sound.

Tested this out last night as well and seems to be the same case for me. Can stream but can't watch anything that is downloaded and saved on the phone. Pretty crappy of Netflix to make it this way as one of the main purposes of downloading something is so that you can watch it in areas where cell reception is spotty.

Reactions: kjohn210

kjohn210

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
Buckhannon WV
Same issue, on both my iPad and iPhone. Ive only had this issue since the IOS11 update. Major pain when living in an area that doesn't offer wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.