Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexArmitage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Brand new here because this is driving me nuts. I make YouTube videos for a living and I'm trying to make some HDR content. For the longest time I thought my videos being uploaded just weren't getting correctly detected by YouTube and never getting detected to be HDR. Then I checked it on my iPhone 13 and HDR was available. But it wasn't in Chrome on my laptop...

I'm running a 14" M1Max. The weird part is popular HDR videos on YouTube do work in Chrome and HDR is enabled. Yet the videos I've uploaded were not working in HDR (They are working in HDR on my Phone).

In both Safari and Chrome, if I change the user agent to Chrome (Windows) it works. Yet if it's Chrome for Mac, it doesn't work. It just doesn't make sense to me that HDR content on major videos like this one works in Chrome without issue, but to get it to detect HDR on my videos I have to change the user agent to Chrome for Windows.

Anyone have ANY ideas?!!?

AlexArmitage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
Go into Chrome settings and select GPU or Hardware utilization. That enables HDR
It is already enabled. And like I said, HDR works in Chrome... sometimes. It works in the video I linked but it doesn't work on other videos. The solution to get it to work on those other videos is to change the user agent to chrome (windows) and it magically works.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It shows HDR on the setting but it’s not. Compare it with the iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2021 side by side and you will see it. Very obvious.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
It's been discussed many times here. YouTube disabled HDR for Macs for now. We think it's because of firmware bug in the new 2021 MBPs which sometimes kernel panics when playing HDR content only on YouTube

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.