Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
I'm considering replacing my W10 HTPC with the new Mini M1.

- Will it support 4k@120hz?
- 4:4:4 chroma?
- What about HDR? (I rip some movies to HDR10 - mkv files). What app support this if so?
- Any streaming app that output HDR? Netflix/Prime/Apple TV+?

Bonus questions
1. What about the Macbooks? Ref resolution/HDR/Apps etc?

2. Do you know what bluetooth codecs that are supported on the new Mini and Macs? With headphone use.
No W1/H1 chip I guess? (AAC? AptX?)

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The HDMI port is only HDMI 2.0 (4K 60Hz)

The tech specs don't say if the Thunderbolt ports support DisplayPort 1.4, HBR3, and DSC.
Since it supports a 6K display, then at least one of those must be true. 6K requires dual DisplayPort 1.3 HBR3 or DisplayPort 1.4 HBR2 DSC. Since it doesn't say you can connect two displays to Thunderbolt (implies that only one display can be connected - which is explicitly stated by the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air specs) then probably the latter is the case (DisplayPort 1.4 HBR2 DSC). In that case, we cannot assume that HBR3 is possible.

Anyway All three are required to use a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K@120 Hz adapter for 4K 60Hz.

Correction: The M1 Macs allow connecting a tiled 5K display like the LG UltraFIne 5K or HP Z27q or Dell UP2715K to get 5K resolution which means the Thunderbolt port must have two DisplayPort 1.2 HBR2 connections at least. However you cannot use them to connect two displays. You can connect one tiled display, or one non-tiled display. Very strange. This means that the XDR could connect as dual HBR3 without DSC, but output from ioreg has shown that it is using a non-tiled connection in that case (which should allow USB 3.0 functionality from the XDR USB ports).

Last edited:

williamtracy

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Any update on this working? Just ordered a M1 MBP and would love to get 120hz out to my LG CX if possible.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Only 1440p @ 120hz for me. I bought that DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter and no luck.
Edit: Can you post a link to the adapter?

1440p@120hz with a Macbook Air/Pro? Can you set the chroma to 4:4:4?
Do you think it's the same with the Mac Mini?

Anyone who can answer about HDR? For ex a MKV file with 4k@24hz HDR. Will it play, and if so, with what app?

matthoffner

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Edit: Can you post a link to the adapter?

1440p@120hz with a Macbook Air/Pro? Can you set the chroma to 4:4:4?
Do you think it's the same with the Mac Mini?

Anyone who can answer about HDR? For ex a MKV file with 4k@24hz HDR. Will it play, and if so, with what app?

Screenshot attached of HDR with Mac mini M1.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.05.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.05.36 PM.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,233
Reactions: ElectronGuru

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I have the LG CX as well - has anyone got 4k 120hz HDR 444 working? I'll honestly be ok with 60hz HDR for now until Apple finally gets around to HDMI 2.1

matthoffner

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
I would expect 4k 120hz on a monitor with DisplayPort. I don't know exactly why the converter doesn't work, but I only read reviews about it working with Windows.

Hopefully there are new hdmi 2.1 adapters (thunderbolt3/usb4?) or even egpu support eventually.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Really? I can't flip the HDR button without losing 444 for some reason. Maybe I need to upgrade my HDMI cable

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Screenshot attached of HDR with Mac mini M1.
Connection? Adapter? Display? Resolution? Refresh Rate?
I wonder if ioreg -filw0 > ioreg_M1_HDRtest.txt shows a difference indicating HDR on/off (run the command before and after changing HDR - use a different name for each file).

Really? I can't flip the HDR button without losing 444 for some reason. Maybe I need to upgrade my HDMI cable
HDMI 2.0 can only do 4K 60Hz 444 8bpc. HDR requires 10bpc which means chroma sub sampling needs to be used (422 at least). Updated HDMI cable won't help if you already have HDMI 2.0 4K 60Hz 444 8bpc working.

miaotata

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
The HDMI port is only HDMI 2.0 (4K 60Hz)

The tech specs don't say if the Thunderbolt ports support DisplayPort 1.4, HBR3, and DSC.
Since it supports a 6K display, then at least one of those must be true. 6K requires dual DisplayPort 1.3 HBR3 or DisplayPort 1.4 HBR2 DSC. Since it doesn't say you can connect two displays to Thunderbolt (implies that only one display can be connected - which is explicitly stated by the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air specs) then probably the latter is the case (DisplayPort 1.4 HBR2 DSC). In that case, we cannot assume that HBR3 is possible.

Anyway All three are required to use a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K@120 Hz adapter for 4K 60Hz.

Correction: The M1 Macs allow connecting a tiled 5K display like the LG UltraFIne 5K or HP Z27q or Dell UP2715K to get 5K resolution which means the Thunderbolt port must have two DisplayPort 1.2 HBR2 connections at least. However you cannot use them to connect two displays. You can connect one tiled display, or one non-tiled display. Very strange. This means that the XDR could connect as dual HBR3 without DSC, but output from ioreg has shown that it is using a non-tiled connection in that case (which should allow USB 3.0 functionality from the XDR USB ports).
Where did you see m1 macs can work with Dell UP2715k? Have one and can't figure out how to get the 5k resolution. thanks!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Where did you see m1 macs can work with Dell UP2715k? Have one and can't figure out how to get the 5k resolution. thanks!

If it works for the LG UltraFine 5K and HP Z27q then it should work for the Dell UP2715K. You need to connect both DisplayPort cables. You can try one per Thunderbolt port. If that doesn't work, then you need to connect both to the same Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt dock or a Thunderbolt to dual DisplayPort adapter. Let us know if it works. Take a photo of the onscreen menu showing 5120x2880 resolution.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
I'm using a new M1 equipped Mac Mini with 2 identical 4K displays. One is connected via HDMI, the other is connected via your USB 3.1 TYPE-C TO HDMI 2.0 CABLE. As you can see in the attached screenshot, the monitor using USB-c?HDMI cable does give an option for HDR. I've emailed the manufacture to see if they have seen the same issue.
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.30.52 PM.png

EDIT: After looking at the cable specs, seems like it might be my cable.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I'm using a new M1 equipped Mac Mini with 2 identical 4K displays. One is connected via HDMI, the other is connected via your USB 3.1 TYPE-C TO HDMI 2.0 CABLE. As you can see in the attached screenshot, the monitor using USB-c?HDMI cable does give an option for HDR. I've emailed the manufacture to see if they have seen the same issue.
View attachment 1676856

Interesting! I assume you are not able to flip that checkbox without losing 444 or 60hz per comment from joevt above?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get HDR out of this thing?

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
Interesting! I assume you are not able to flip that checkbox without losing 444 or 60hz per comment from joevt above?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get HDR out of this thing?
HDR makes the UI look very odd as well. With HDR on (right), the dark UI colors have a purple/brown hue to them. It does not look good. It's hard to capture, but tried:
tempImagezOLPa7.jpg
tempImageOdo7tF.jpg

I do believe I loose 4:4:4, but I think I retain 60hz.

I did order a USB-C > Display Port 1.4 cable to see if that makes a difference on my monitor that does not give an HRD option.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah, you're prob losing 444. I notice it most in the lack of sharpness along the edges of things, and yes the colors are super off as well. Your displayport cable will work for you I think. I only have an HDMI 2.1 input on my LG CX so that's not an option for me.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
Yeah, you're prob losing 444. I notice it most in the lack of sharpness along the edges of things, and yes the colors are super off as well. Your displayport cable will work for you I think. I only have an HDMI 2.1 input on my LG CX so that's not an option for me.
Well the real issue is I’m stuck with 1 HDMI no matter what...

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah, very disappointing that Apple put HDMI 2.0 on their new machine. At least they did USB4 - hopefully they (or someone) will release a cable or adapter soon that will output 2.1

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
View attachment 1676856

There are many DisplayPort to HDMI adapters. You might need one that does HDMI 2.0b.

Also of interest, notice in my screenshot that I have a different "scaled" selected for each, yet both are rendering UI as 2560x1440. Both show a native resolution of 5120x2880...just so odd.
That's not odd - it's been that way since retina became a thing. 5120x2880 is the size of the framebuffer in memory. Looks like 2560x1440 is half that in each dimension which means things are drawn with four times as many pixels as they would be in a 2560x1440 framebuffer. The framebuffer is scaled to the output resolution which is 4K in your situation. If you don't want that extra scaling step, then you need to use "Looks like 1920x1080" or 3840x2160.

I don't think anyone should turn HDR on unless they are watching full screen video unless Big Sur has fixed HDR for normal apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.