Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghellz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
I shot a short vertical video today in HDR 4K at 24 fps on my new iPhone 12 Pro. It looks great when viewing in the photos app. When I try to upload as a Story to Instagram, the color appears incredibly desaturated. It's pretty bad. I've tried adjusting the color to compensate for this, and the same problem persists. Any ideas?

Reactions: Jason Jinwook Choi

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Instagram, like all other apps, will need to update. This version of HDR recording is new with this generation of iPhone.

Dzmitry Kuzmitch

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
Kinda like this? I have similar problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Same when sharing with someone else. It’s the HDR for sure.

Jason Jinwook Choi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
exact same problem here!
not only instagram but also in youtube, quick apps. I just show this to a tech support at apple and they said it “should” be a software issue but they arent completely sure.
after that I did some work by myself and found out how to fix it for now.
go to setting-camera-format

and change the format from
high efficiency to most compatible

if you do that, you wont be able to shoot videos with the whole new HDR function and 4k 60fpms

but when you upload your videos on the third party apps such as instagram, youtube , it will look just fine.

it is just for a temporary hot fix that I found out.

my question is still there are some
youtube videos people uploaded few days ago with 4k 60fpms with dolby vision out there but how the hell their phone works and mine doesnt.
it seems for some iphones it is fine but for someone elses like mine and yours arent.

anyway change the video format for now till they fix.

MaxPowerB

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
I can confirm this is a software bug, Instagram iOS can‘t understand HDR Videos yet. If you play back the story in the web player it seems to work though. I haven‘t tested it on Android, yet.

anek007

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
Looks like the video is unprocessed. Even when sending go another iOS device. It’s still unprocessed. I sent it to my wife iPhone 11.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I found out one way to convert an HDR video that has already been shot (the settings workarounds help only when shooting new videos): screen record the clip you want to upload, trim & crop to 16:9 and there you have the SDR version ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
For hdr when sharing it needs to be air dropped as well. Until apps update for this you might as well record with it off when putting on social media

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Instagram was updated a while ago and today TikTok was updated to support HDR video, so we’re mostly all good now and can shoot HDR ✌️

edit: by support I mean you can upload HDR, mut it will get converted to SDR properly, without losing most color and contrast like it used to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.