Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utsavkp99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
So since the HDR video recording on the new iphone 12 lineup is being raved about, l thought ill look more into it. Turns out from what l read HDR videos do look much better than normal non dolby vision HDR videos but only when being watched on displays that support HDR Dolby Vison. What l wanna know is that which format looks better on a display that doesn’t support the HDR standard so that l can decide wether l want to enable HDR Dolby Vision or not

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
if you have an old non-supported device, then non-DV will look better. DV makes the video look bad on non-supported devices. For example, on my 2015 iPad Pro, DV video is just blown out and useless. On my 2020 iPad Pro, DV looks normal/good. BUT, the video is BEST viewed on my iPhone 12 PM because it supports DV/HDR playback...and it is glorious! :)

Despite above limitation on old devices, i leave DV mode ON. Why? For the future. With Apple all in on DV, this will force all future displays from other OEMs to also support Apple’s DV. I don’t want to regret not using DV on my current video two or three years from now when i get a new TV.

just my 2 cents.

utsavkp99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
if you have an old non-supported device, then non-DV will look better. DV makes the video look bad on non-supported devices. For example, on my 2015 iPad Pro, DV video is just blown out and useless. On my 2020 iPad Pro, DV looks normal/good. BUT, the video is BEST viewed on my iPhone 12 PM because it supports DV/HDR playback...and it is glorious! :)

Despite above limitation on old devices, i leave DV mode ON. Why? For the future. With Apple all in on DV, this will force all future displays from other OEMs to also support Apple’s DV. I don’t want to regret not using DV on my current video two or three years from now when i get a new TV.

just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your reply, that was really helpful and exactly what l wanted to know! And yes, most of the times, recorded videos are played back on the phone itself, so now ive decided that unless l specifically want to record something to re watch on my tv(which doesn’t support DV HDR) only then ill switch it off, otherwise even l will leave it on! Also, do you have any idea wether the new M1 macbook air supports DV HDR?

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Thank you for your reply, that was really helpful and exactly what l wanted to know! And yes, most of the times, recorded videos are played back on the phone itself, so now ive decided that unless l specifically want to record something to re watch on my tv(which doesn’t support DV HDR) only then ill switch it off, otherwise even l will leave it on! Also, do you have any idea wether the new M1 macbook air supports DV HDR?
Not sure. But i think that it depends on the DISPLAY capability of reaching at least 1000 nits of brightness as required by DV/HDR.

My iPad can decode the DV video but cannot play it back in all its glory due to lacking a bright enough display (can only reach 600 nits per Apple specs). Your iPhone can reach above 1000 nits...thus able to play back DV correctly.

My guess is that M1 Macs will be like my iPad Pro 2020. You can watch it fine but don’t expect eye ball blowing dynamic range that you see on your iPhone.

utsavkp99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Not sure. But i think that it depends on the DISPLAY capability of reaching at least 1000 nits of brightness as required by DV/HDR.

My iPad can decode the DV video but cannot play it back in all its glory due to lacking a bright enough display (can only reach 600 nits per Apple specs). Your iPhone can reach above 1000 nits...thus able to play back DV correctly.

My guess is that M1 Macs will be like my iPad Pro 2020. You can watch it fine but don’t expect eye ball blowing dynamic range that you see on your iPhone.
Oh damn, 1000nits? Given that current macbooks have a max of 400-500, l dont think that any device except for a phone will have that capacity in the near future, and expecting that level of brightness on a tv is a long shot l guess? It does come down to where you want to watch your videos then doesnt it, its either your phone or nothing. But anyway, cheers mate!

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Oh damn, 1000nits? Given that current macbooks have a max of 400-500, l dont think that any device except for a phone will have that capacity in the near future, and expecting that level of brightness on a tv is a long shot l guess? It does come down to where you want to watch your videos then doesnt it, its either your phone or nothing. But anyway, cheers mate!
Yeah, that is why, if it is just me, I prefer to watch Apple TV movies on my 12 PM rather than my iPad despite iPad having bigger screen. Of course, if more than one person watching, then i use the bigger screen of either iPad or my home TV.

Reactions: utsavkp99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.