Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
MA
With the new AppleTV starting to hit homes and shelves today we’ll finally get to see the HDR10+ experience.
As a Samsung TV owner (2018 Q9 model) who uses solely an AppleTV for all content this is what I’ve been waiting for.
Any others out there? Chime in as you try it out! So far I see the “Use HDR10+” setting, but nothing explicitly marked in the apps that are supposed to support HDR10+ like Prime, YouTube, and Paramount+. Begs the question: is there a way to confirm one is taking full advantage of HDR10+?

8F168A96-3973-4A5E-9EE9-BF2D22E9B126.jpeg

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Netflix only supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Prime has HDR10+ content, Rings Of Power is one I’m aware of.
This link has a list:

Quite a lot of movie purchases are available in HDR10+ if you open the TV app and bring up The Greatest Showman or the Die Hard movies you’ll see the logo next to them in the info.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
MA
Quite a lot of movie purchases are available in HDR10+ if you open the TV app and bring up The Greatest Showman or the Die Hard movies you’ll see the logo next to them in the info.

Innnnnnteresting. When I Siri-search for Die Hard and click into the result there’s an HDR10+ badge shown, but when I find it in the iTunes Movies app it just shows “HDR”. 🤷🏻‍♂️
And I’m wondering if – at least with Apple content – when anything is labeled “Dolby Vision” if it also plays in HDR10+ (when connected to and HDR10+ TV and that setting is Enabled, of course)….

bigtallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Innnnnnteresting. When I Siri-search for Die Hard and click into the result there’s an HDR10+ badge shown, but when I find it in the iTunes Movies app it just shows “HDR”. 🤷🏻‍♂️
And I’m wondering if – at least with Apple content – when anything is labeled “Dolby Vision” if it also plays in HDR10+ (when connected to and HDR10+ TV and that setting is Enabled, of course)….
I’ve got a thread discussing this too. Not completely sure but it does seem that Dolby Vision content is being played in HDR10+

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Can you tell the difference between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision?

Therefore there's no real difference between the dynamic formats as they both top out at 4,000 cd/m². Winner: Tie between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. Both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are currently mastered between 1,000 to 4,000 cd/m², so there's no difference there.Mar 31, 2022

HDR10 vs HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision: Which is better?

I don't think anyone is claiming there is a huge difference between HDR10+ and DV. That really isn't the point. If you have a Samsung TV, you now have access to HDR10+ content whereas before it was only HDR10. And if you have a TV that supports both HDR10+ and DV, you now have the ability to watch content that was previously only available in HDR10 but is now HDR10+.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I’ve got a thread discussing this too. Not completely sure but it does seem that Dolby Vision content is being played in HDR10+
Confirmed. I tried anything and emptied the Wb on the subject. Absolutely no Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K 2021 so I guess the same for the 2022. Be it on Amazon Prime, Netflix or YouTube, means nothing when you see the logo DV on a movie. HDR 10 all the way. Those who have the 2022 ATV, did Apple stripped the thing from Dolby Vision. My own experience is that when DV is on in the video settings, it only blows out the picture to the point the Home Page is not workable. I have a Sony X90K with DV. Only the internal Prime Video app gives a DV experience.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
My new ATV4K 3rd Gen was waiting for me when I got in from work, I’ve previous been using the ATV4K 1st Gen and have been more than happy with my iTunes movie purchases in Dolby Vision and HDR10.
Now I’m happy as get to take full advantage of my TV as the vast majority of my none DV HDR movies now give me a new on screen icon I’ve never seen before since I’ve had it 😁

805CB5AD-BDF2-4DD1-80A7-1E66136EB375.jpeg

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
My new ATV4K 3rd Gen was waiting for me when I got in from work, I’ve previous been using the ATV4K 1st Gen and have been more than happy with my iTunes movie purchases in Dolby Vision and HDR10.
Now I’m happy as get to take full advantage of my TV as the vast majority of my none DV HDR movies now give me a new on screen icon I’ve never seen before since I’ve had it 😁

View attachment 2134702
Friend, excuse my ignorance but how do you get the information at top of the screen about ATV and specs? What's your streaming app? Glad for you all is working to your satisfaction.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Friend, excuse my ignorance but how do you get the information at top of the screen about ATV and specs? What's your streaming app? Glad for you all is working to your satisfaction.
That’s not the ATV specs it the TVs HDMI input info, all Panasonic TVs do this.
I manually edited the input name from HDMI3 to ATV4K.
It appears on screen when there’s a change in picture setting or you can manually bring it up using the info button on the TV remote.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Friend, excuse my ignorance but how do you get the information at top of the screen about ATV and specs?

Another way to get it streaming information, depending on the player, is by installing the Developer HUD on the Apple TV.

DV on matches off.png

dan980

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
On my Apple Tv 4K 3rd gen, both Apple Tv+ and Prime Video output a spectacular HDR10+ (I have a Samsung Tv).

On the other hand, Disney+ HDR10 is horrible. Really. It’s very very dark, they don’t do a proper Dolby Vision -> HDR10 conversion. The peak brightness is very low, and colors are washed out.

Netflix outputs a regular HDR10. It’s just fine. I won’t hold my breath for an app update to bring HDR10+ on Netflix, they basically abandoned the tvOS platform.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Netflix outputs a regular HDR10. It’s just fine. I won’t hold my breath for an app update to bring HDR10+ on Netflix, they basically abandoned the tvOS platform.
tvOS as a platform is irrelevant, Netflix don’t support HDR10+ at all regardless of the platform.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
A few months ago, I would have totally disagree with you but now, I tend to share your view. I surprise myself using more and more Google TV and the pre-installed apps that came with my Sony X90K. As I said earlier, I gave up on Dolby Vision. About HDR10+, only dreaming about it.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
A few months ago, I would have totally disagree with you but now, I tend to share your view. I surprise myself using more and more Google TV and the pre-installed apps that came with my Sony X90K. As I said earlier, I gave up on Dolby Vision. About HDR10+, only dreaming about it.
Well it’s not entirely my view, it states it as such at Netflix.com

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Well it’s not entirely my view, it states it as such at Netflix.com

I see. I said so cause I didn't subscribed to Netflix. Only Amazon Prime and Apple TV+. But I'm weighing on cutting the cord and if I do I will subscribe to Netflix and Disney for sure. Thanks for the information.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.