Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I'm planning to get a 19" - 20" HDTV for my PS3. Need some recomendations, please advise. Thanks in advance.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Do you wanna use an HDMI cable to connect your PS3?
If so, thats gonna limit your choices, especially for 20 inchers.
At least according to newegg, they only carry two 20" LCDs with HDMI, they are both Toshibas.
If you don't care about HDMI, IMO, Samsung makes good HDTVs (although they tend to charge a bit more than others)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Do you wanna use an HDMI cable to connect your PS3?
If so, thats gonna limit your choices, especially for 20 inchers.
At least according to newegg, they only carry two 20" LCDs with HDMI, they are both Toshibas.
If you don't care about HDMI, IMO, Samsung makes good HDTVs (although they tend to charge a bit more than others)

I'm planning to get a HD Ready TV and yes I would want to use the HDMI cable. Are Toshiba's reliable? i've heard lots of good reviews on Samsung, is LG any good? Sony's are a bit pricey but slick.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just bought a 'bargain' unbranded HDTV for the bedroom. It's 19" widescreen with hdmi, vga, svideo, scart, component inputs as well as a built in DVD player. All for €210/$250

Tested the ps3 on it with HDMI and it has a great picture and supports 720p and 1080i.

For that price it's excellent.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
We have a Samsung 30" Widescreen SlimFit HDTV (crt). Great tv.

2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 composite/1 s-video.
480p, 720p, 1080i.

I think we paid around $799, Best Buy's got 'em on sale for $549 (which is a SICK PRICE for this tv).

Highly recommended.

BTW - Sony no longer manufactures tv's; Samsung does it for them and then Sony puts their brand on it and sells it at a Sony price (ie = HIGH). Just an FYI. (A friend of mine's dad owns a high end tv repair shop and that's what he told me.)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I have a 19" Samsung LCD which is great. The new version comes with an HDMI input whereas mine only has a DVI, but hey, it still works and looks awesome as a computer monitor and as a display for my PS3.

Gav

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Just to let you know. DVI & HDMI are compatible standards. You won't lose quality with an HDMI-DVI adapter.

I just bought a 'bargain' unbranded HDTV for the bedroom. It's 19" widescreen with hdmi, vga, svideo, scart, component inputs as well as a built in DVD player. All for €210/$250

Tested the ps3 on it with HDMI and it has a great picture and supports 720p and 1080i.

For that price it's excellent.

Got an URLs? Or name of a shop? :D

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005

MartinW

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
England
One thing I will point out quickly about the LG monitor is while it says 1080i the resolution isn't high enough to support it so it must turn it into 720p I think.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
It's exactly what I was looking at most of the stores. It's pretty reasonable, in terms of price, LG's not too bad as a brand, 720p, 1080i, HD Ready and HDMI. Almost what I'm looking for but I am not sure if LG does make good LCDs.

IMO LG isn't one of the top brands, but it's pretty good, way better than Westinghouse (sorry Tony, they suck :D) but not quite on par with Samsung. I'd put it about at the level of Philips, which is pretty good in my experience

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
We have a Samsung 30" Widescreen SlimFit HDTV (crt). Great tv.

2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 composite/1 s-video.
480p, 720p, 1080i.

I think we paid around $799, Best Buy's got 'em on sale for $549 (which is a SICK PRICE for this tv).

Highly recommended.

BTW - Sony no longer manufactures tv's; Samsung does it for them and then Sony puts their brand on it and sells it at a Sony price (ie = HIGH). Just an FYI. (A friend of mine's dad owns a high end tv repair shop and that's what he told me.)

My friend has one. It's the only type of HD set I would buy at this time if my old Trinitron took a dump. I wish they made a smaller wide-screen version that I could put in my office for now. :)

<]=)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
IMO LG isn't one of the top brands, but it's pretty good, way better than Westinghouse (sorry Tony, they suck :D) but not quite on par with Samsung. I'd put it about at the level of Philips, which is pretty good in my experience

Samsung's my favorite brand and I have 2 of their LCDs in my office, but I need to note that my Apple HD 30" based on a LG screen, represents color values noticeably better than my Samsungs, one of which is newer than the Apple. :eek: The Samsungs tend to wash-out colors a tid-bit, even with proper color calibrating, which I've been doing on screens since the mid-nineties. I really didn't notice this until I brought my 19" to a friends along with my main workstation to help him finish some work.

The best looking plasmas I've seen have also been LGs IMO.

<]=)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I wouldn't mind getting Samsung (High Reputation in LCDs, IMO) if they do make them but it doesn't look like it's available anywhere. Most of the 19 inchers are non HD and don't have a HDMI socket. I don't plan to get the 30 inchers or so as my room's pretty small.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Samsung's my favorite brand and I have 2 of their LCDs in my office, but I need to note that my Apple HD 30" based on a LG screen, represents color values noticeably better than my Samsungs, one of which is newer than the Apple. :eek: The Samsungs tend to wash-out colors a tid-bit, even with proper color calibrating, which I've been doing on screens since the mid-nineties. I really didn't notice this until I brought my 19" to a friends along with my main workstation to help him finish some work.

The best looking plasmas I've seen have also been LGs IMO.

<]=)

I'll have to try an LG sometime.
I play my 360 on my Samsung 940BW 19" widescreen, and it looks really good in 720p

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I have the 940mw. :) DVDs look awesome on it and it looks great plugged into my old G4 and PC. I also use it for my Wii via component. Overall it's a great screen. My only gripe is how long it takes to switch between the connections. I was also suprised at the sound quality of the built in speakers. For their size they're superb and don't distort like other monitor speakers I've listened to. They have a full sound with a good range.

rambles.

<]=)

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
The question is what you mean by affordable. There are plenty out there. Just remember this one thing. Expandability. Most HTIB in the cheaper price range limit you on your inputs and outputs. So watch out for that or it might bite ya.

I am perosnally going to go with the Onkyo HT-SR800. It sounds good from what I heard in the store with Sirrius configured properly by me. Which didn't take long and sound good for the price. The main point is that it does HDMI Passthrough. Kinda of annoying, but for the price, that's about as good as you are going to get. So you have to run a Digital Cable (Toslink or Coax) to the machine along with the HDMI. There is also a cheaper verison, Onkyo HT-SR700 i think, that is cheaper but you don't get the HDMI.

Just remember, expandability!

MartinW

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
England
I second that this is a great TV. I got one and its fantastic, and you can get it cheaper than the Play.com price if you look around. I got mine just a bit over £200. It really makes the PS3 worth having!

Does it support 60Hz? Because I've been looking it up and some people seem to think it doesn't support 60Hz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.